Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Power of Prayer

Quick background: I have a friend who suffered a house fire this week. She lost her dog, whom she loved to pieces, but she is incredibly positive and very grateful that her family is safe because they were not home at the time of the fire.

When I received this news on Thursday, I told Eli and we said a quick prayer. (With a two-year old, everything has to be quick!) Then on our way to walk yesterday morning, I asked Eli to say another prayer with me in the car. Keep in mind, these are short, 'watered-down' (for Eli's sake) prayers. Last night before bed, Eli and I did the usual pre-sleep prayer, thanking God for things like hoops and Elmo. (I did not include my friend and her family at this time.) As soon as we said 'amen', Eli looked at me with a very concerned expression and said "pray. gen. (again) fire." I thanked him for reminding me and we said a quick prayer for the family. Once again, after we said 'amen', he said, "pray. gen. doggie. house burn down." Eli was so serious in all of this. He seemed so concerned about this family and the loss of their dog. I told him that the family includes a little boy his age, so maybe that hit home with him. He kept asking me, "carpet burn down? toys burn down?" Listening to my son pray for a family and show heart-felt concern for their loss brought me to tears. (And as Lehr can tell you, that's not an easy thing to do!) I hope he is always this sensitive towards others!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cole - I knew Eli was such a wonderful little boy, but you truly have done an awesome job with him. I know he is going to pass all he has learned from you to Mad-Dog. Can I borrow him for a few weeks since Lilie is getting bigger? I hope you friend and her family are doing well, I am thinking of them.

Anonymous said...

Hello Nicole,

Situations like this really make us remember to treasure those people God has given us to love and hold. I am a recent convent to SAHM to 12 and 6 year old boys. I have missed out on SO MUCH of their lives and daily that the Lord for giving me this time at home with them now!

I am new to the blogging world and am glad that I found your site. I have been working on a website since last fall that focuses on the essentials of family living with an emphasis on family fun nights and quality family time.

I look forward to reading more about your precious family.

Amy

bev said...

This has truly touched my heart and spoken to my spirit. I said a few weeks back that a childs prayer is the most innocent and sincere prayer. Eli reminded me of that. Bless his little heart.

jolibe said...

It is amazing to me how young kids are so connected to their spirituality. I am constantly touched by my 2 yr olds awareness of God. His great-grandma passed away in early Sept, and Liam will still randomly start talking about "gait-gandma up sky". I like to think he senses her watching over him/us from heaven.