her evaluation about a month ago, I knew she did well. The evaluation occurred at 9AM, which is a great time for most kids because they are well rested and ready to go, and it took place in a new environment with new toys. Pretty much the perfect scenario to get the best possible results from my girl. So when I got her report last week, it didn't shock me to see high marks on there. I didn't expect them to be as high as they were, but I also don't really know anything about this process since we are just starting out.
I went into this meeting prepared to fight for my girl. To fight for inclusion. To fight for her to be able to maintain as much exposure to typical peers as possible. Instead I got to hold on to my fight for another day. Should we see that she's not benefiting from the current plan (which doesn't start until the fall), we will call a meeting to reassess. Should we see that she needs more (OT, behavioral) therapy and we think the school can be a viable resource, we will call a meeting to reassess. Should we see that this particular speech therapy is really helping and she needs MORE, we will call a meeting to reassess. It just didn't seem to be the right move to fight hard for more services (that we really weren't sure about anyway) before we'd had a chance to test drive them to see if they were worth fighting for.