Saturday, January 19, 2008

Kids Say The Darndest Things

I was a bit hesitant to post about this since some might be offended. But then again, I use this blog as a baby book/journal for myself, and this is something I want to remember when my kids are older. Plus, anyone with a toddler, especially a boy, knows this scenario all too well, so there shouldn't be too much shock value here...

Boy parts. That's Eli's most loved phrase/concept these days. When the time came to label such anatomy, I decided to go with 'boy parts' and 'girl parts'. Not a fake name that I would be embarrassed to say in a group of other adults, yet not too 'graphic' that I would be embarrassed if (when!!) Eli says it in a group of adults. It started out innocently enough, as it always does. From time to time in the bath Eli would point to his boy parts and label them as such. Then one night about a week ago he thanked God for boy parts in his prayer (I just blew it off...trying to not make it such a big deal because he didn't appear to be attempting to be funny. Eli honestly seemed grateful for what God had given him.) The moment that left me laughing later (I was able to compose myself in front of Eli) came the other day as we were unsuccessfully sitting on the potty, AGAIN. One of Eli's books is a picture book with family photos. The last page is a mirror and Eli found much amusement in that. First he looked at his face and said "cratches" (scratches, as in the scars on his nose and forehead). Then he pointed it at his shirt and said, "fuzzy bear" and at the shower curtain and said, "tower". Then he angled it a little lower and said, "boy parts". The inevitable obsession has begun...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Ryan calls it is "wee wee". A few months ago he was taking a shower with Jeremy for time sake and he looks at J in the shower and says ... Daddy has a BIG wee wee and I have a litte one, but mommy doesn't have one ... I'm sure more times are on the way!

Gina said...

Liam named his all by himself... "peep"... We have no idea where that came from but we all have one.

Cute post. Very smart labels... I think we'll use those ones from now on.

Anonymous said...

Yeah - we use "boy parts", too. But, Jake doesn't entirely get it, because he says he has "boy parts" (the front) and "a bottom" (the back). He also says that girls only have "bottoms" and that they go #1 out of their bottom because they don't have a "boy part". Not sure how to explain it yet, so I'm leaving it at that for now. :) And, no, the obsession never ends....- Courtney