Friday, January 25, 2008

Donation Corner: Atlanta 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer

This month's choice was a no-brainer. Not only did I just sign up for the 30-mile walk, but February is National Cancer Prevention Month. Being a woman, and a mother of a daughter, breast cancer is obviously something that is on my mind from time to time. Unfortunately in the past five years I've known several women who have been diagnosed with some form of breast cancer. The statistics are shocking to say the least: someone in the US is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes and someone dies from this disease every 13 minutes.

The cool thing about this particular walk is the amount of money that actually goes back to the cause. Because there is not a third party organization running the event, most of the money generated flows right into the funds for research, support, financial assistance, treatment and awareness programs in Atlanta. The Atlanta 2-Day Walk's goal is to give back at least 70% of all money raised. That is a big number!! (Avon and other breast cancer walks are wonderful, but their percent of 'return' is much lower than this.) In the past five years, this walk has raised $4 million to fund local programs.

Due to a very large and generous donation on my first day out of the gates, I've already raised the minimum funds required and met my original goal. (I've since revised that goal.) I don't consider an achieved monetary goal a reason to stop trying to raise money! If you would like to donate to the walk, you can click on my link to the right, or go to the general donation page. Any money is good money, as far as I'm concerned!

1 comment:

Cindy Sanders said...

Wow.. you've already raised all your money? Way to go!! I still need to raise mine, so if anyone you know would like to make a donations, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,


Cindy
Make a secure online donation.
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=254912&lis=1&kntae254912=20D0FA846A6D4CB4B8BD46E5E3547E78&supId=140897690