Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Ears Need A Break

Seriously. Wow. Cannot express enough to those of you who have not seen Maddux in the last two weeks just how loud she is. And piercing. And resonating. Her 'new' voice is used in good times and bad, when she's happy or sad. Or bored. Or tickled. Or tired. Or hungry. Or joyful. Do you see a trend? I've seen other 'spirited' babies before. And those with the more loud (or obnoxious, take your pick) babies, I had pity on. I've never heard of a way to teach a baby to NOT use their God-given voice. I've done all the obvious things I can think of: not giving her immediate love/attention in a positive way when she screeches, calmly responding to her in a quiet voice, asking her ever-so-politely to use her "inside voice", like I do with Eli. But she's six months old. So 90% of that 'training' is not going to change her a bit. Until it does, I am starting to look for earplugs. Eli and Lehr will just have to go back to using sign language with me.

2 comments:

jolibe said...

Just feel lucky that your ears had some "quiet-time" while Eli was young! Both of my kiddos have been and still are extremely vocal and loud - whether happy or sad! Of course, Danika is much more screechy and shrill than Liam was. My hubby and I are at a loss, because we are both rather quiet, reserved people.

Kaci said...

My mom insists it's a girl thing. I've noticed Scarlett is much more vocal & loud than Matthew was too. It is almost constant.