Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Pain In The Mouth

Maddux is not her usual happy-go-lucky self these days. She's still pretty smiley most of the day, but from around 4PM on each afternoon, the stress and pain of teething catches up with her. In an effort to try and relieve some of her discomfort today, I pulled a trick out of my mommy bag. When Eli was teething in the beginning, I'd put ice cubes in his mesh feeder. It makes a mess, but it's only water. Maddux was very pleased with this. She gnawed on three ice cubes, which allowed me to get dinner ready in some peace. Of course Eli saw her 'eating' ice and wanted to try it too. "Boff eat ice", he said. So I loaded it up and the two kids slurped away happily. Those of you who know us well know we don't give Eli much sugar (outside of fruit). For me, Eli's reaction to the meshed-ice was proof enough that sugar is not needed (for my kids) to make something special. It's amazing how excited he was about his ice-flavored 'pop-ick-le'....he thought he was getting a real treat!

1 comment:

Heather said...

So glad someone else doesn't do sugary foods either! My parents think I'm silly but we have stuck to our guns on this one!