Monday, February 11, 2008

Amazing

That's the only word I can use to describe today. Not perfect, because there were small bumps as there always are with kids, but as close to it as they come these days. For starters, no time outs of any kind...that is a really good thing! Eli was very well-behaved all day. He started to get a little 'cry-face' when we started our afternoon walk, but he quickly cleaned up his act, and that was the only incident all day long. Maddux has been a little 'loud' due to teeth discomfort, but not at all unpleasant.

After our morning at the gym (during which Eli was in the nursery and not happy about it), we ran to Costco for a quick fill-er up of some basics. Mad Dog had fallen asleep the minute we pulled out of the gym parking lot, so I figured she could get in a quick 15-minute nap on the way. Both kids did great at Costco; Eli even reminded me of a few essentials I'd forgotten ("hearts" and wipes). Maddux napped another 30 minutes after we returned home, so Eli and I got a 'date' lunch, which never happens anymore. Maddux woke up right afterwards and Eli serenaded us with his guitar while she nursed. Right before naptime I introduced Eli to "Peaches" (the song, not the video), which I hadn't listened to in quite a while, but correctly guessed he would like. (Honestly I think he liked it so much because Mommy rocked out on the guitar while we were listening. That's a pretty funny sight.)

After the kids' naps I loaded up the double-BOB and we went to the river for our daily afternoon walk. We'd not been down there in a while due to cooler weather (not much protection from the wind when you're walking on the river bed), so Eli was pretty psyched. He wanted to 'dun' (run), of course, so I told him that just like at home, at the end of the walk he could run for a bit. He had a blast pointing out all of the rocks and puddles we saw. Maddux managed to lose a sock, and Eli yelled "HERE FISHY FISHY!" every time he saw any glimpse of the river. As promised, when we got back to the dock (about 1/4 mile away from the car), I let Eli out to run. I reminded him that when Mommy calls him, he needs to run to me and say "Yes, Mommy" (first time obedience for fellow Ezzo fans). I told him that if I called and he didn't come, his run would end and he'd be in the BOB for the rest of the walk. He never even made me consider pulling him into the stroller. I was so proud of how independent, yet obedient he was! Towards the end (he ran almost the entire 1/4 mile back), Eli gave a sigh and a -phew- sound. I laughed and asked him if he was tired. He said 'uh huh' and then smiled and said 'nigh-nigh', as he laughed. That kid has a sense of humor!

We came home to find Lehr cooking dinner. While turkey burgers cooked on the grill, Eli and Lehr played in the back yard (something we are all really loving these days), and Maddux stayed inside with me to get the plates and drinks ready. Routine baths followed: Maddux was asleep at 8:00 on the dot and Eli is now happily talking himself to sleep. Life is good.

2 comments:

The Mommy Salami said...

Too funny...I have been singing the Peaches song to Morgan now that she eats peaches (and loves them). I haven't actually heard the song in years (probably since high school) so it was nice to get a refresher from your link!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that does sound nice. I wish Robby would tolerate a stroller walk every day. I'd love it.