Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sing. Sing A Song.

Eli is now requesting songs before his nap. I have sung "You Are My Sunshine" to him since the beginning, mixed in with "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" in the last year or so. When we finished reading our before-nap-book yesterday, I told Eli is was time to sing a song and go to bed. He looked at me and said, "Tun-tine?" I didn't understand at first, but after he asked a few times I realized he was saying "sunshine". Melt melt.

I've been leaving words out of the songs for a while too. Eli will usually correctly fill in the blanks: "You make me (Happy) when skies are grey. You'll never know, (Dear), how much I love you." and "So I hung my head down and (cw-aye)." He'll do that with "Take. Game." (Take Me Out To The Ballgame) also. "Buy me some peanuts and (cah-ker dack).....Root, root, root for the (Tubbies)". And today we started that with the alphabet song. I was quite happy to find Eli does in fact know some of his ABC's, even though he's been hesitant to show off that skill before now. He filled in almost any letter I left out.

My favorite thing about Eli singing is when he sings to Maddux. Sometimes when we are all in the car and she cries, Lehr or I will ask Eli to sing to her to make her happy (we tell him she cries when she's sad). Eli's version of singing is speaking in a drawn-out high-pitched voice. And the only song he sings is "Turkey Dee" (The Thanksgiving Song). And the only lyrics in Eli's song are "Turkeeee Deeeeee. Turkeeee Deeeee." Good thing he likes to play sports because he will obviously not be pursuing a singing career.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ryan will sing to Pace as well. weird thing is ... the ABC's are what calms him down. so we will be in a car ride, Pace cries and Ryan will start immediately singing the ABC's to him ... Pace no longer cries! So sweet!