Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hanging Out With The Guys

Eli, Maddux and I spent the morning at Tyler's house hanging out with Tyler and Noah. Correction, we spent the morning playing in the backyard. The boys could not get enough of Ty's cool collection of outdoor toys including (but not limited to!!) a picnic table, two ride-in cars, golf clubs, and Eli's favorite, a lawn mower. Eli pretty much monopolized the mower until Tyler's mommy pulled out the golf clubs. Then Eli made the switch and for the most part did not allow any one else a chance to play. We had a quick picnic lunch on the lawn before heading home, and all three boys were pretty exhausted by the time we said our good-byes.

I'm getting ready to talk about how great my son is again, so stop reading if that bores you (and I totally understand if it does). Eli had a few tantrums at the house before we left; they were severe enough for me to consider not even attending our play date. He also waged a small battle with me during the picnic. But the majority of the morning, the car ride to and from, and his after-nap time were awesome. Eli showed such self-control and patience during our outside play before dinner....even when I didn't remind him to! I would turn around from putting the ball on his tee and see him standing with the bat at his feet and his hands clasped (his physical manifestation of patience and/or self-control). He thanked me for setting the ball on the tee several times without me prompting him, and he obliged each time I asked him to put away his toys before pulling out new ones.

My reason for commenting on this good behavior (yet again) is because of the rough roads we've had in the last few months. I know we are in no way out of the woods yet, but it has been a nice change of pace to see some good habits forming. And since parenting tends to polarize you (either you're being too hard on yourself or your only seeing the good in your kids to a fault), I'm trying to recognize the good in each day, while not overlooking the fact that even good days contain tantrums and disobedience. I think most of you who are parents can agree though, when you see your hard work pay off, it really makes it all worth while. I think this is an especially rewarding experience for those of us who are stay-at-home-parents. Before you get your feathers ruffled, that is not to say that those who work outside the home do not still spend hours teaching and training their children, nor is it to say that they do not relish the joys of their parental consistency. But the ones who stay at home and do not have any other job than to be a parent, like myself, usually don't have any other outlet to accomplish 'big' things. When I worked outside the home, I completed many tasks each day. I got little pats on the back from time to time, and even when I didn't, I was able to take pride in my work regardless of what was going on at home. Not so true anymore....what is going on at home is my main job. It's the only outlet I have for achievement at the moment. Sorry...I got way off-track with that. Carry on!

The parenting philosophies that Lehr and I subscribe to remind us that bad days are ok. The question we need to ask is, "Is Eli characterized by that behavior?" Usually (on the bad days), the answer is no. More and more (on the good days), the answer is yes. Life is good.

No comments: