Thursday, August 09, 2007

New Words

Eli has a few new words this week. "Zoo", in honor of his trip to the zoo last week. The way I discovered he knew this word was rather interesting. Eli was looking at the random pictures on our screen saver today and one popped up of him kissing the giraffe statue at the zoo. I never showed these pictures to Eli before today, so it shocked me that he remembered that 5-second moment from the zoo.

Another two words are "under" and "umbrella". When Eli says 'umbrella', it's usually more like 'u-ball-ah'. He points it out to me in books every day. "Under" is more interesting because I really think Eli knows the concept of it. He first started saying it last weekend when we were jumping at the pool. We have one lane for laps and it is roped off. He loves to go 'under' the rope (underwater). I thought he just knew that swimming in that way was 'uh-dur'. However, during our visit with Cooper this week Eli tried to throw the ping pong ball across their ping pong table and he kept saying 'uh-dur'. I really didn't know what he meant until he walked to the net and pushed it up so that his ball would roll (or bounce) 'uh-dur' the net. He also says 'uh-dur' now when we drive under a 'bri-dah' (bridge).

Finally we have 'tor-kee' and 'gobble', in honor of the Adam Sandler Thanksgiving Song. For whatever reason I sang it to Eli on Monday while I made his turkey sandwich for lunch and the kid loves it. Now he constantly prompts me to sing by saying 'torkee' or 'gobble' as he smiles.

There are other words he picks up on a daily basis, but they usually don't last since they aren't ones we use often. We went swimming with Tyler and Noah today, so "tsee-tah" was a new word, in honor of Tyler's cheetah toy. "Hop-hop" is Eli's way of saying 'bunny', since that's what the bunny does, I guess. And finally, "dohr-tee" is how Eli says 'dirty', but he says it to refer to garbage trucks, excavators, and any other construction vehicles he sees (since they tend to be covered in Georgia clay).

No comments: