Monday, September 24, 2007

In Your Wildest Dreams

I think Eli has dreams each night. I know by age three toddlers can have them, but I'm not sure what the 'studies' say about two-year olds. What I do know is that at least twice a week I will wake Eli up in the morning and while he is still squinting his eyes and stretching, he tells me a few things, out of the blue. Today is was "soff-ball!" (softball) We went to a softball field last week, so I think he dreamt about that. The other day it was "pool. jump." We haven't been to the pool in about a month, so I think that was a dream also. In addition, we have a sleep-talker on our hands. I still have the monitor in our room because I've become a heavier sleeper since Maddux was born, which means I might not hear Eli crying in his room without it. A few times over the last few weeks I've heard Eli say one random word, but no other noise occurred. Now Eli does wake up from time to time during the night and play, but when these sleep-talking incidences happen, no aquarium turns on, nor do I hear him roll over and hit his bar on the crib wall (which always happens if/when he is awake). Usually it's a 'ball' word: hoop, tee-ball, or home.

Eli's vocabulary is still expanding daily. He repeats as much as he can from Mommy and Daddy, and he makes his own sentences all the time. The other day he saw a Cubs game where a player slid into third base. The next day during lunch he told me about it: "Ball-bat! Tubbies. Run! HOME! Bay-sss! Pall-down! Hurt!" (The 'hurt' was accompanied by a sad face on Eli.) Some of his newer words these days are:
- Cart
- Run
- Cry-baby (He means to say "Baby is crying", I think.)
- Pish-stick (fish stick)
- Bow-er (blower)
- Mower
- Gasss (gas or grass or glass)
- Doggie
- Coh-d (cold)
- Pah-Tah (pasta)
- Dee-ner (dinner)
- Seat
- Race
- Ow-tide (outside)
- Hap-Birt-day (Happy Birthday)
- Tash (trash)
- Jac-o-naler (or something, which means "jack-o-lantern")
- Punkin (pumpkin)
- Me-on (melon)
- Um-ball-ah (umbrella)
- Tink ou (thank you)

Sorry about that - once I started, I just couldn't stop! He has many more words, but I think I've bored you enough for now.

No comments: