Wednesday, June 14, 2006

That Smell

So I took Eli to a story time at the local library today. Before we went into the story circle, we checked out a few books. In the last few weeks Eli has become much more attentive when I read to him, which means I can now get 75% of the way through a book without him pulling at the pages and yelling over my voice. He still reaches for the book, but if I put him in my lap and hold the book out of his reach, he calms down after a page or two. And because of that, we're going through his library quite often, so I figured we could use a new book or two to 'spice things up'. We checked out three books to read over the next few weeks before story time started. It turned out to be quite a process: I had to run to my car once to get my ID since my library card had expired and I left everything except the card in the car. Then, once I returned the librarian told me I had an $.80 fine (again, purse is in the car), to which I told her to just put the books back because I didn't feel like going back out to the car. She was nice enough to waive it until next time.

Once that was all squared away, we entered the story time room at which time Eli promptly filled his pants. No noise associated, just a smell. And what a smell it was. Since I'm a lazy mother, I'd left his diaper bag in the car. Not that it would have mattered because the bathrooms were all the way upstairs, and the story time room was too small to change him without putting on a show for the other moms and babies. So what did we do? Sat through the 30-minute story time exchanging looks with the other mothers as if to say, "Do you smell that? No, it's not us, is it you?" What a wonderful thing to teach my child.....

Outside of the mini-drama associated with Eli's pants, the story time was very enjoyable. It consisted of once short story (babies 8-12 months have very short attention spans) and several sing-along, clap-along songs. I highly recommend it as a fun, free activity for any SAHMs out there looking for something new.

8 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

How fun! Oh that smell! Good thing is when there are other babies around, you can get away with it!! Oh, and I MUST recommend "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" if you don't have it already. SO cute- especially if you read it dramatically... all my boys love that one!

Mall Worker said...

That is just too funny! I'm going to have to check out story time. Boo isn't quite into stories yet, no matter how far I keep the book, he some how manages to snatch it out of my hands and put it in his mouth!

beth said...

I love envisioning all the moms looking at each other wondering who it is: he who smelt it dealt it! And your pictures really are always gorgeous.
I just wrote about wanting something like this storytime. So jealous.

Bri said...

Forget being a lazy mother and congratulate yourself on getting out of the house and to an actual event - just consider the poo a parting gift to the library :). I keep meaning to sign up for a class or a story time - maybe now I'll actually follow through...

utmommy said...

My kids love story time. We sign up every summer.

Gina said...

I am still laughing! So funny that he sat in it for a bit!

Sounds like a lot of fun... oh I wish I had the time to do cool stuff like this!

Gina said...

You can reject this comment because all I want to know is what kind of camera you have! I love the photos you take... so professional looking! email me at ihartpartly if you don't want to tell me in the comments.

Nicole said...

Gina - It's a minolta diamage 7i (5.0 megapixels) It's nice, but it doesn't focus as quickly as I'd like in less than great light.