Tuesday, June 06, 2006

More Unrelated Ramblings By Eli's Mom

I'm not a big crier...I didn't even cry when Eli was born (and Lehr won't let me forget it). However, Eli's birth ensured that I now get choked up watching Maternity Ward or any other birth show. (And, for the record, I didn't cry at Eli's birth because I was so exhausted...but now I get teary-eyed just watching him nap.)

Also, I've said many times that Eli's page is about Eli and Eli only. I do not want to blog about my political or religious views, nor do I want it to be endless ramblings about just anything. I really want(ed) it to be ramblings only about Eli, and yet here I am, for the second time in as many weeks. So I promise to continue my attempt, and make this my last 'non-Eli' post for a really long time. (Cross my heart.)

THAT BEING SAID...
In the past week I've read about, seen, or heard about so many stories of adoption and foster care. It has really had an impact on me, so I thought I would share a few of the stories I've come across.

I saw a show the other day about a couple who was adopting. They had a 3yo son and wanted more kids but couldn't have them. So they adopted a little girl from Korea. She was probably 6 months by the time they got her, but you got to follow them to the airport where they picked her up. I got so emotional watching it....I could only imagine how they must have been shaking as they walked into the airport knowing they were about to meet their new daughter. (I tried to liken it to going to the hospital to deliver Eli, but I had so many other things (PAIN) to distract me, so I don't think it was the same.) This family was so excited to meet their newest member; there were tears of joy on the parents' cheeks before they were even able to hold their daughter. Video from weeks after her arrival portrayed a very happy, normal family. It did not appear that this little girl was in any way different, and thus not an equal member of the family. It was wonderful to see how her arrival was just taken in stride, and how welcomed this little girl was by the entire extended family.

The next day, I found a blog about a family who recently adopted a Russian boy. He is so cute and the family's (including two biological kids) dedication to him is amazing. They talk about how he is growing attached to them and how his life has changed since leaving the orphanage...unbelievable. They were lucky to get him at a fairly early age (approx. 18 months?); hopefully he will not remember too much of the loneliness he felt before he met his current family. Also in the adoption ring is a couple at our church. They adopted a beautiful little girl from Russia about a year ago. She was older (maybe 2?), so she probably remembers the orphanage more than this little boy. Regardless, both children appear to be as happy and healthy as can be.

The point of me rambling on is to talk-out my feelings on adopting. I love, love, love that I look at Eli and see so much of his father in his face. I like knowing that people look at him and see me at times also. But when I see a a child 'born' to parents under less conventional means yet still basking in unconditional love, it makes me realize that blood does not a family make. These kids are so special because they were hand-picked by their parents. How lucky they are.....

(If you are interested in learning more about adoption in Russia, here is a link.)

2 comments:

Gina said...

I understand you not wanting to write about anything other than Eli. But when Eli reads what you have written about him, he surely won't mind glimpses of his mother on these kinds of posts. This post speaks volumes of the size of your heart. Well done.

"...blood does not a family make" is a great phrase. It not only applies to adoption. I have many mothers and sisters that are not blood... essentially we are one HUGE family here on this earth. I wish more people had that perspective and loved people because they are human. Adoption is a beautiful thing. I am so grateful that sweet babies and children have the opportunity to be loved like a child should.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I didn't cry when any of my babies were born, but later on in the quiet moments when it was just me and that precious new life... and many other "little" moments since.