Thursday, June 08, 2006

Sip Sip Horray!!

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying this: Eli has finally mastered the sippy cup! It has been a L O N G journey of me presenting it to him at every meal and trying to get him to drink from it (a little over two months now!). He would pick it up and play with it, chew on the handles, throw it to the floor...anything but drink from it. Some days he would take a sip as I held it to his mouth, and others he would refuse and push it away. For a while he would only drink if I replaced the 'sipper' with a bottle nipple, then he would only refuse when the nipple was there. Back and forth. Back and forth. Finally about two weeks ago he started drinking from it (actually 'chugging' at times) very regularly. Then about a week ago he started picking it up and putting the 'sipper' in his mouth and sucking. However, he didn't understand that he had to lean his head back and tip the cup to get liquid. So we have been working on that. Fast forward to this afternoon: I'm fixing Eli's avocado and pasta lunch and I turn around to see Eli pick up the cup, tip back his head and drink. All on his own! TA DA! (Just to show off, he repeated this trick for his dad at dinner.)

2 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Yay for Eli! Thats a big thing! My little guy still doesn't get the concept of tipping his head back yet!

beth said...

Oh this is so reassuring! Sam and I have been working on the same thing for a few months and we are now at that needing to tilt the head back stage. I'm so glad Eli got it. I have hope.