Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Long and Short of It

I figured something out this weekend: hard days last a L.O.T. longer than good (or even not-bad) days! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday last week = long long LONG. Friday, Saturday, Sunday = not so long. After the kids' naps on Friday, the three of us spent some time with neighborhood friends before Daddy got home. We then packed up the double BOB with dinner and a few sports and walked to a nearby softball field. Eli absolutely loves to watch kids or adults play, so we thought dinner at the park was in order. No one was playing, but some crews were getting the fields ready for a weekend full of games. We ate our dinner in the bleachers while Eli's attention was 100% on the chalk lines being laid down below. After we finished, we played catch in the outfield. Maddux had a great time crawling around in the grass and pulling up on the chain-linked fence. She heckled many a pedestrian walking by, only to have them chuckle at her.

Saturday was another not-so-bad day. We took the kids to Costco and Eli was good enough to earn a few minutes play time in the kids' playhouse set up towards the back. He was so excited! He asked for Max to play with him, but I didn't want her crawling around on Costco's floor, so she stayed in the cart. The four of us played in the yard after naps and then went out for an early dinner. We don't do this much (read: ever) because Maddux is a bit challenged in the area of vocal self-control. She is very loud and I prefer to not disturb other diners. We chose a spot we knew would be quick (even though it was table service) and we arrived just after 5PM, in order to miss the usual crowd. Maddux did really well; Lehr took her out at the very end, but even then she wasn't that disruptive. Eli did great also. He kept asking for "more Thai food, please", but what he really meant was 'more rice'.

Today ended a great weekend with another action-packed day. After church we had a picnic at the church playground with a few of Eli's pals. The kids ran around for over an hour before we headed home. Maddux even got to crawl around in the grass for a bit! After naps we met up with Cooper and Finley (and parents) for dinner. Eli and Cooper put away a few slices of pizza at one of our favorite outdoor pizza places, and then we walked over to yet another park. The boys ran around, trying all of the equipment while Maddux and Finley stuck to the swings. Of course Eli had to watch the 'big guys' play soccer for a few minutes before we packed up the car.

And here I am again, at the end of a long (boring!) re-cap post, with no witty way to end. This is why I usually blog once or twice each day....to avoid this exact problem! So here's the 'good' ending. While we were driving home from dinner on Saturday, Maddux started to get a little fussy. Each time she started to cry, Eli reassured her, very quickly, saying, "Das ok, Max! Ah-most home!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is so sweet. I love it when Sam assures Robby in the car, rather than screaming that he wants him to "chill out, Wobby!"

And it's so true. I always know how the day is going by how I feel when I look at the clock at 2:00pm. If I think, "What?! It's not even 4:00 yet!" Then I know it's a bad one.

Ann said...

I wanted to give you some encouragement from my friend's blog. These are some words from a Trace Atkins song...I don't know if you listen to any other country but Kenny :)!!

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
And she keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

bev said...

The bad days seem so much longer than the good days, but the good days make all the bad ones worth it. Did I confuse you the same way I confused myself? :) Either way, it sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend and I hope there are plenty more good days in your future. You're doing a great job with them, and you totally are someone I look up to.