Monday, April 28, 2008

Hurdles and Turtles

Eli came SO close to missing his swim class this morning. In order to get the kids loaded into the car, drive to the Y, unload the kids and walk through the big parking lot, check Maddux in at the nursery, and change out of our street clothes before entering the pool at 10AM, we have to walk out of the door at 9:30. Eli was not being cooperative this morning and I decided when he first started (around 8:45) that I was not going to allow his schedule to trump his discipline (today). At 9:10 I warned him that he had 20 minutes before we had to leave. If he didn't sit down and 'allow' me to dress him and get his shoes on (without any fuss or struggle) in that time, we would not be swimming today. He cooperated while we dressed and brushed our teeth and hair. Then the last few minutes came when I was getting Maddux a new diaper. I instructed Eli to get his shoes and bring them to me so I could put them on his feet. He started to hem and haw.... I calmly reminded him of our deadline and told him I was setting the timer for three minutes (it was 9:27). That boy waited until only 21 seconds remained before bringing me his shoes... I guess that's what Gina Plowman means by inadvertently 'training' kids to when they are required to obey. (We'll tackle first time obedience soon....other issues currently at the forefront.)

So from then on out, Eli was great. The lesson was a blast. We worked with 'power packs' today which Eli was a bit apprehensive about. These floatation devices strap around them with a belt and contain three or four foam floaties on their backs. When we all sat down on the pool-side to attach them, Eli was not having it. I told him everyone else was doing it, but if he didn't want to then he'd have to stay out of the pool until class was over because power packs were required for class today. No way, Mommy...not happening. I was fine with this. I'd already had my share of battle with him today, so if I had to take him out of the pool and go home, I was fine with it. Luckily I didn't have to because the mom next to us was wonderful enough to mention that with her son, it helped to describe the pack as a turtle shell. Genius! (I'm sure it helped that Eli saw "Joe" yesterday, so turtles were fresh in his mind.) Eli bought into it and we were off. He even swam around a little without me today!

No comments: