Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ice Popcicles

Ever since I gave Maddux a mesh-feeder with an ice cube inside of it to help her teething gums some six or seven months ago, Eli will ask for an 'ice popcicle' whenever the mood strikes him. Today we went for a morning walk with a bunch of his friends and it was another scorcher out there. Before we even pulled into the driveway, Eli asked, "Ken I have ice-pah-sickle, Mommy?" How could I say no to that!? So he and Maddux sat on the kitchen floor and ate their ice popcicles together. Boring, I know, but he asked for it. Maddux really got into the spirit too: she would attack the mesh feeder with her mouth, giving it an "ahhhh!!!" before she chomped down. The first picture I caught could have just been a fluke, but at the end of the session, I had three or four where she was making the exact same face.

Speaking of Mad Dog, she had a little scare today. After our walk, we strolled back to the fences to see the horses. Eli was so excited, running the whole way and calling out to the horses. Because the front gate was not open, I carried Maddux along the trail and held her as we watched the horses eat. They were very close to the fence Eli leaned on last time, so we saw them up close and personal. Since Maddie was in my arms, I told Eli to stay back a bit; he was disappointed he couldn't pet them today, but he didn't give me any lip. Three horses stood near us and grazed for several minutes when one moved a little too suddenly for Max (though I didn't notice anything unusual) and she tensed up in my arms. Seconds later she emitted the most pitiful, scared cry I've ever heard from her. Obviously something spooked her. I continued to talk in a calm voice as I rocked her a little, though never moving from the spot we were in. She calmed down within a minute so I told her to wave to the horses (she LOVES to wave to people now). She did, but that made her cry again, which made me laugh. It was as if she really didn't want to wave because they were scary, but she couldn't pass up the opportunity to show off her skills. She settled down once again and was fine the rest of the time. As we left, Eli said, "Bye, horsies!! I wuv ou!!!!"

No comments: