Saturday, July 12, 2008

Potty Training, Day One

We waited until school was out and our summer travel was complete before really trying to get Eli on the potty-train. I gave it a shot one day here and one day there earlier in the spring, but had no luck. So today we buckled down, stayed around the house, set the timer, and prepared for the worst. But it wasn't. We only had two 'sittings' where Eli actually cried or threw a fit. Considering we sat at least every 20 minutes, that is a pretty low percentage. The main thing we learned today was that Eli can hold the contents of his bladder...he has very good control. He woke up at 9AM and didn't go at all until 1PM. That's through two meals and several glasses of water. (For the record, Mommy can't even do that.) Then he had one accident, right before nap time, but it was barely any. So Lehr changed him and had him sit (with no success) before putting him down for his nap. During naps we opted for the 'sleeptime underwear' variety (AKA pull-ups). Of course it was soaked through when he woke up. No worries. Mommy decided to pull out all the stops and make the afternoon/evening one big snack fest, filled with peanut-buttery bars and salty crackers (and lots and lots of water). Nothing until about 645 when he had another small accident. Fast-forward to 730 when we put the kids in the bath. I had Eli sit on the toilet for about three minutes before he got in the bath and he cried the whole time. When he finally entered the water, I reminded him that if he felt like he had to go, he needed to tell Mommy or Daddy. So he plays with Maddux for ten minutes before she gets out. Then he plays alone for five. I walk out of the room to get a towel and Eli yells, "Mommy Gotta Go Potty!!" I run back in and toss him on his potty seat. Within seconds he started to go. Holy Moly, Guacamole!!! Then he sits there and laughs and grins like crazy. Of course, I'm making a big deal out of it too. Even Daddy and Maddux, who were getting ready for bed, come in for the celebration. So I ask him if he has to go anymore and he says, 'yes'. He sits for another minute and then goes MORE. So excited. We have a quick animal cracker party and head to bed.

I know, I know.... I'm blogging about my child's bodily functions, but any other parent who has been through this process knows how pain-staking it can be. And how rewarding when you finally get some kind of breakthrough.

4 comments:

SmallvilleMom said...

Sounds like a good first day. I felt weird blogging about the potty too. But when you've been in the bathroom with your kid all day, there's not much else to write about. We did the snack thing too to get Maya lots of potty practice. I would give her a "happy face cracker" (a graham cracker w/peanut butter on it, raisin eyes, and a honey smile) as her reward and also to make her more thirsty.

Cara said...

how's it going! Will you be in tom'w on the potty or are you ready to venture out of the house?
Save all your tricks and tips for me! It will be Noah's turn in September after the beach!

Heather said...

Oh I blogged about it too ... one of those things I want to remember :)

Good luck ... hang in there. I think we had an odd situation and Ryan was abnormal in this area. He is still in pull-ups at night (after a year) but I hear some kids are such deep sleepers that they can't make it through the night and we don't give him grief about it ... one day he wont and we will be excited.

bev said...

Sounds like a reason to celebrate to me! Once he gets the hang of it he'll be trained in no time. My goal was to be 100% in underwear by his 3rd birthday. We still have some night time accidents if he has too much to drink too close to bed time but other than that we're all aboard the potty train. We hope to see Eli see there soon!!