Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Year Ago...

One year ago today. It seems like yesterday. Your dad and I (and Eli) went to the OB's office for a routine 38-week check-up. The midwife measured my belly and noticed that it hadn't budged in the last week, size-wise, so she wanted to do a quick ultrasound. Everything looked great to me: your heart was beating fast, your limbs were still all there, but the tech told us to go wait in the midwife's office so we could talk. Apparently the cord was wrapped around your neck. You were still getting enough of what you needed, but the midwife worried that if I went into labor on my own, you might come too fast and the cord could tighten before I had a chance to get to the hospital. She gave your dad and I the option to come in the following day (July 3rd) or to wait until after the holiday. Daddy and I were in shock...we didn't expect you to join us so soon. After asking a few more questions and hemming and hawing, we opted to wait. After a brief pause the midwife told us she didn't want to wait: we needed to come in first thing the next morning. Less than 24 hours from that moment. A whirlwind of events later, your Grandma Cathie flew in upon a moment's notice to watch Eli, D took the day off work to do the same, and I packed my hospital bag. I remember lying down during Eli's nap, trying to get some rest for the big day ahead of me, but all I could think about was you. With Eli, I had no advance warning like this: he just showed up one morning. This was much different. And you still didn't have a name!! We didn't know if you were a boy or a girl, so we needed two names. The boy name had already been picked out, but we had yet to agree on one for a girl. Due to your size and perfect feet, I assumed you might be a girl, so this really stressed me out. Your daddy left for the airport (Grandma Cathie) around 11:45PM. I remember calling him on his cell phone and saying, "Right now. We HAVE to pick a girl name." After about ten minutes we agreed to call you "Maddux" if you turned out to be pink. I can't believe all of that happened just one year ago today....

No comments: