Thursday, July 05, 2007

Home Again, Home Again.....

What a hold-up at the hospital! We were all set to leave around 6am this morning but due to some poor communication between us, nurses and the lactation department, we did not get home until 2PM. I was so antsy to get out of there, so the wait felt like forever! Lehr brought Eli to the hospital so he could help us bring Maddux home. He was still pretty unsure of her, but while we were waiting for our final check-out, he did grab my banana and offer it to "bee-bee?" So cute. Maddux lost her 7% body weight, so I will have to go to the pediatrician's office tomorrow afternoon to have her weighed again. We never had this problem with Eli, so it's all new to me. Quite a surprise too because she's been a great nurser and she's had way more diapers (the 'test' of nursing) than Eli ever had in the first few days. Besides that she is great. Eli is a little testy. He has yet to kiss the baby or really get interested in her. I've been trying to spend as much time with him as possible; he shows a lot of concern when I nurse her. He came around a lot toward dinner, however. We all sat at the table and I put Maddie in her car seat on the floor near us. He offered her a few spoonfuls of his pasta and a sip of his milk too. Then when I was nursing her after dinner he came and touched her head (a first) and said 'hair'. I'm so stressed out about this....how do I balance enjoying her and giving her the attention/time necessary to simply feed her while still entertaining and giving attention to him!?!? The next few weeks will be easier on me as Grandma Cathie will be here, but I really worry about when she leaves.

Speaking of which, Eli did great while we were in the hospital. Grandma Cathie (Eli calls her "Cappy") and David ("D") stayed the first day, and Cappy has been here since then. Eli did not give either of them any issues. A BIG thank you to both for how they have helped out with Eli during this transition time.

I know the blog is still titled for Eli alone; I haven't decided on the name/address of the new one yet, so no switch has been made. I did shut down the baby's blog though. I moved all of those posts (minus the comments, unfortunately) over to this blog, which will from here forward be a combined blog. Again, any suggestions are welcome!!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

girl don't stress. Easier said than done I know. It was hard on me as well because it seemed the nursing time was when Ryan wanted my attention the MOST. What I did was Room time when I nursed. So I could have some time with Pace and nurse without feeling like I had to entertain a monkey :) It worked for us. Ryan was happier and it made nursing easier. Ryan was still napping two times a day so that also helped some though I don't think Eli still naps twice a day?

Give him time to warm up and don't force it. He'll come around. We are praying for you. Feel free to call if you need to. We will be in town next weekend though I'm sure you won't be at church :)

Mir said...

It'll take time, and probably more than you think. I can honestly say that at 1 1/2, I JUST NOW feel like we're finding a balance in our family. It's REALLY hard, and it can be stressful, but it is most certainly temporary, and Eli will not remember any of this even a month from now, and especially not when it comes time for therapy. ;-)

I'm sure you'll do great -- just remember to analyze each situation separately. Who needs you most right then, and sometimes let the answer be YOU need you most. The most helpful thing I can tell you is that no child is scarred by crying for a few minutes.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he will come around more when he realizes that Maddux isn't going anywhere. Before you know it, he'll be mommy's little helper! Good luck at the doctor's office today. I hope baby girl is packing on the pounds and ounces!