Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Elmo Can Use The PO-tty!

About two months before we moved I decided to buy Eli a 'potty' seat so that he could become aware of what it was. I didn't dare start officially potty training, given that we were about to move AND have a baby, but I also didn't want it to be a big shock when we did start the process. Along with the seat I bought an Elmo book with talking buttons (Potty Time With Elmo). Eli loves the book and loves even more to push the button which says "Elmo can use the PO-tty!". So to re-cap, all we've done so far is read the book, sit on the seat once a day (before his bath), and try to make Eli aware of when he is 'going potty' and whatnot. Up until this point he's not even been bothered by a wet or dirty diaper, so trying to get him to let us know before he goes will be a challenge. However, yesterday Eli asked to sit on the 'potty' twice (both times he had just wet himself), and he told me "Potty. Dirty." before we went (he now says 'dirty' if he passes gas or has a dirty diaper). This is good news to me. Not that he's in anyway started to train himself, but he's making progress, seemingly on his own!!

Eli had a great night last night with his cousins, Na'ama and Aiden. They came over to meet Maddux, but had a much better time playing with Eli. The three of them played hoops, zoomed around on his bike, and jumped all over the back porch. Since Eli is a big fan of bigger kids, he was in heaven.

1 comment:

Mir said...

Hmmm....that is the THIRD boy who's Ian's age I've heard of this week that's showing potty readiness signs....maybe that's a hint to Ian!

I wanted to tell you I met a mom today who has a 7-week-old with bilateral club foot. I mentioned I had a friend whose son's feet were corrected with the Ponseti method, and she got SO excited. Her son is in his 3rd set of casts and has two more sets to go before his bar. She was curious as to how well Eli got around with his bar and I could say without a doubt (from your videos!!) that he was QUITE mobile, even with the bar on. She seemed very relieved to hear of another child who has had great success using the Ponseti method. :-)