Tuesday, July 03, 2007

And Then There Were Four.....

Finally, finally! We arrived at the hospital at 6AM this morning for my induction. They started me on the (dreaded) pitocin drip around 8AM. The OB on-call checked me and I was still dilated to a 2-3. (He arrived before my midwife.) The contractions kept steady with what they had been all night until around noon. They were consistent and noticeable, but very manageable at that point. The midwife checked me at that point and I was still only a "3", so she broke my water to get things moving a little quicker. Within an hour the contractions became very painful. They started out still allowing me to breathe through them in a somewhat controlled fashion, but around 1:30 or 2PM, everything started to become very painful and very out-of-control (for me). Luckily the midwife came in just after 2:00 and saw a few contractions for herself (I was feeling a lot of pressure at this point - like I might want to push). She decided to have me get back on the bed so she could check my progress. I have never been so happy to hear the number "9" before! The following two contractions were even more intense (I was still on pitocin, which was not helping my pain at all.), and I definitely felt the urge to push by then. The midwife told me if I wanted to on the next one, go ahead and try to bear down. I did and I told her it felt like the baby was coming out. The midwife looked and sure enough, she could see the head crowning. The next few contractions were excruciating, but I remembered with Eli that it had to get worse before it could get better so I kept pushing as much as I could. Thankfully I only had to push for ten minutes before my beautiful baby girl arrived (au natural except for the ever-painful pitocin). Once again the midwife and the doula (Elizabeth) were instrumental in helping me get through it all. Lehr was the biggest help of all though; he obviously learned a great deal from last time and he anticipated any pain or need I had - Thank God for him!!

So to sum up: Maddux Nicole Eliason made her way into our family at 2:44PM on July 3, 2007, weighing 6lb.13oz and measured 19 1/4 inches long. Her feet are straight as can be and she scored 9/9 on her apgar 'test'. I don't see any resemblance to Lehr or myself, but I think she is the spitting image of Eli, especially when he was younger. Eli still isn't so sure about her, but hopefully he'll warm up once she comes home and Mommy is home with him. (I'm still in the hospital, but pictures will, of course, follow when we return home.)

Many people have asked what our name would have been for a boy: Bode James Eliason. We still really like that name as it's one we decided on months ago, so we're keeping it in our back pocket. But I'm not AT ALL ready to talk about having another baby quite yet.

17 comments:

jolibe said...

Oh my goodness! That is such awesome news! Congratulations!!!
You are a determined and strong woman to endure the pitocin without pain meds - wow! I will have to think of you for inspiration when I'm enduring labor (hopefully within the next few days!).
Yea - I am so happy for you and your family! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nicole & Family! I love the name you chose for her! I know I haven't been in touch in FOREVER, but, I've been keeping track with your blogs! :)
- Amy Abel

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh I have chills! So excited for you. What a marvelous name!!!

Steph

Anonymous said...

OHHHH!!! Congratulations you guys! A little girl - so fun! And the name is amazing! LOve it! Looking forward to meeting Maddux. Praying for you guys!
Mitzi

Heather said...

Congratulations!!!! So excited for you and can't wait to see pictures of little maddux ... love that name! Eli will warm up. Ryan was the same way. Glad to know that all is well and that mom and baby are both healthy! We will continue to pray as you transition from a faimly of 3 to one of 4. It's a great ride!

Heather said...

PS ... you didn't have to name her Nicole after me! But it sure was nice of you :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you all and wish you the best! I have no doubt that she is most precious thing! Congratulations!
-Bridget

SmallvilleMom said...

Congratulations on your little girl! Can't wait to see pictures. Cute name, especially the middle name (it's mine too).

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you all. And natural labor with pitocin? - Go you!

Can't wait to see her.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nicole, glad Maddux came into the world healthy and happy. I cant wait to share your story with the class on Sat.


Blessings!
elika

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Beautiful name, kudos for no pain meds with evil pitocin! I can't wait to see pictures!

Kaci (nokitty00 from webmd/yahoo)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Maddux! I can't wait to see pictures of the little beauty. Congratulations Nicole, Lehr, and Eli!

Anonymous said...

By the way....pitocin is the devil!

Heather said...

Guys ... she is beautiful!!! I know you must be exhausted. I can't believe you did it au natural! Give me pain meds two days early :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and I love the name. So excited to see more pictures! Way to go during labor and delivery - you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your perfect family is even more perfect now. :)

I'm not sure how to pronounce Maddux. "Mad-ducks" I'm sure is wrong. lol Help?

Mama D said...

SO sweet! Congratulations!!