Monday, August 28, 2006

$#*%

Seriously...that's all I can say.

I'm going to warn everyone first: this post is not for the faint of heart. What happened to me today shouldn't happen to any mom anywhere, anytime. The only good spin I can put on the situation is the knowledge that I truly earned my mom status today. Everything started fine; Eli and I went to his 1-year doctor appointment this morning. (BTW - Eli weighs 19lb. 2oz. and is 30 1/4" long. Also the doctor says he's "smart". Should you agree, continue reading and you might change your mind.)

When we returned home, Eli and I played and then I put him down for a nap. He played in his crib for about 15 minutes and then cried a little, but nothing out of the ordinary. I always leave Eli's door cracked a little so I can check on him once he's quiet, to make sure he's asleep. Never have I been more glad to have such a routine. I peeked in Eli's room and noticed him lying on his blanket, apparently sleeping. The room was dim, so nothign appeared out of the ordinary except for a strange smell. I peeked my head in further to see if the smell was indeed coming from the room. Just as I realized it was I caught sight of the crime scene. (I did take one picture after Eli and his blanket had been removed, but Lehr has forbidden me from posting it.) Excrement was everywhere, including coating my son from waist up.

After about a minute of shock, I kicked into mommy-mode and grabbed Eli and his blanket out of the bed. I threw him in the bathtub and started the water. After I had the pieces (are you grossed out yet?) cleaned off of him, I emptied the water and rinsed out the tub and then filled it again so he could bathe. Luckily his nursery is right across the hall from the bathroom, so I left him in a little bit of water so I could start in on the nursery. (Note: I never leave Eli in the bath alone, and I assure you I ran back and forth every few seconds if/when I couldn't see his little head poking up over the bath's edge.) The amount of detail cleaning I had to do was unbelievable. Every slat, every underneath of the top rail, every nook and cranny. The sheet didn't make it; it went directly into the trash. Eli's beloved blanket (which he's screaming for in his crib right now) is still in the wash; it's touch and go. Two hundred diaper wipes, 1/2 roll of paper towels and countless sprays of Clorox Hard-Surfaces Bleach later, his nursery is clean, but I am officially wiped out.

4 comments:

Lynanne said...

Guess what? I'm not grossed out the slightest! :)

I'm not saying I don't feel for you in a very big way!! I've been through something similar and it's NO fun. Hopefully you won't experience that again for a long time. Unfortunately, the Fecal Matter Mom Badge needs at least 2 more cleanings to earn. (though, from the description of this one, perhaps you should get a bonus credit!)

Oh, and be forwarned....don't ever leave a potty chair and a budding artist anywhere near a white wall while you run to answer the phone. I won't say more... :)

Jamie said...

Oh what a nightmare. You poor thing!!
And poor Eli, ICK!
I hope his blanky survives the ordeal, or that you can still buy that same blanket somewhere.

Mall Worker said...

Oh my! Poor Eli and Eli's Mom! I thought I had it bad When Boo threw up all over his crib with out alerting me to the fact. That takes the cake! I hope his blanket survives!

beth said...

Oh no!. You poor guys. Had he eaten something new or was it just an off day? Hope the blankie makes it.