Saturday, October 17, 2015

Time Away

Isaiah 40:31  but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I've mentioned that verse before, but it's so just that good, and so applicable to my week!

At dinnertime on Thursday, Ruby's hospital room door opened and Lehr plus two good friends walked in. They were carrying as much of my clothing and shoes as they could fit in bags so that I could pick an outfit to wear. Lehr had arranged a whole night away so I could see my favorite band at a show about an hour away. Less than ten minutes later we were out the door, meeting two more friends before starting our drive.

Crazy. Crazy cool. Cool of Lehr and cool of my friends. Oh yeah, and once the show started I noticed that the sax player was wearing a Team Ruby shirt. 
What the what?!?!
As crazy and surprising as the whole night was, that was probably the most shocked and speechless I was. It should be noted that we kinda sorta know him, since I attend every show of theirs that I can possibly attend, but that in no way takes away from the fact that it is rock star awesome.

The next day Lehr stayed with Ruby until about lunchtime, and then my mom switched out with him. I got to hang outside with Maddux and Eli after school and put up some small Halloween decorations. After dinner, they both went to spend the night with friends. That meant that Lehr and I could go on a date (no babysitting tariff!). 

Thursday night was Lehr's plan (such a great, well thought-out, EPIC plan), and Friday night (small plan). It's so very obvious to me why both of these nights are vital to this experience, specifically for our family and for our marriage. I know the bulk of Ruby's leukemia hospital stay and treatments and Ruby's therapies and Ruby's doctors' appointments falls on my shoulders. To be honest, I'm responsible for the bulk of all three kids' daily activities. (*This is not to say in any way that I do more than Lehr where the kids are concerned....he's way more efficient and effective with his interactions with the kids than I am!) I am more than 100% in support of and OK with this breakdown; it's what Lehr and I chose for our family. 
But it would be foolish of me to not thank God for providing a husband for me that recognizes the relationship between showing gratitude for my contribution and my joy and willingness to carry that 'weight'. And it would be naive of me to not acknowledge that all relationships, especially the all-important marriage one, take work...work from both sides, even when life is crazy and unpredictable. Work in the big epic ways and work in the little no-frills way. 

So when I notice days go by when I feel no fear surrounding Ruby's leukemia, or when I don't find the need to dwell on all she and I are missing while she's going through treatments, this verse is what comes to mind. When I turn my burdens over to Him, He will provide opportunities to renew my strength. He will provide the means for Lehr to plan an amazing 12 hour getaway for me. He will provide a new friend to offer to take the older kids for the night so that I can plan a dinner date for just Lehr and I. He will provide conversation and moments and rest and renewal.

No comments: