Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Streak Has Broken!

So for as much as Maddux vomits, Eli has (had!) never until today. Even as a baby, he didn't spit up. I can recall a few small 'returns' of milk immediately after feeding when he was an infant, but nothing beyond that. That's all out the window now... Eli woke up from his nap whiny and moody again today, but since he's been that way for the last few days, we figured nothing out of the ordinary. After I fed Maddux, I joined Eli and Lehr in the computer room to watch a few minutes of another pre-season game. Eli got especially whiny/sad when something random and oh-so small happened, so I decided to take him into his room for a few minutes. I figured he and I could use some one-on-one conversation about what had him in such a funk the last week. We sat down and I started to rock him, but I immediately felt how warm he was. Inwardly, I groaned because a killer strand of the flu has been going around our church for several weeks and we've survived so far. Even though I knew I needed to get the thermometer to double check, I sat there for a few more moments, rocking and singing to him (as he was still whimpering a little). All of the sudden he sat up and I noticed he was shaking a little. I asked him if he felt ok and he said 'yes', but then it started. All over me and all over him. The poor kid didn't know what the heck was happening. After it stopped I called to Lehr for a towel. Of course it started again and then again after Lehr got there too. I quickly wiped us up and placed a clean towel between us and Eli fell against me immediately, exhausted. I rocked him for a good 45 minutes after that (yes, still in our stinky clothes!!) and he almost fell asleep a few times. Every five minutes or so I would ask him a question, but most of the time he wouldn't answer me, as he was just spent. The good news was, immediately after the 'incident', his temperature felt completely normal. Eli finally picked up his head off my chest when he heard Lehr vacuuming downstairs. (This is Eli's favorite chore.) Since then he's been running around, playing baseball and air guitar, and he ate a normal dinner, so this was just an isolated sickness. And here I thought I had the first puke-free child!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Goodness! I hope he doesn't get to feeling bad again! Praying that no one else gets it and that you guys have seen the worse of it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor sweetie. I have to say though that it's really amazing that this was the first time this happened to him. That's really great. It's hard no matter what though, because they don't understand what's going on and it's so sad to watch. I hope it's passed.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow- that would have been some feat! Hope all is much better. And LOVE the Cubbies shirt!

Steph

Anonymous said...

Well, between Jake and Emily and their problems with reflux, I couldn't tell you how often I've dealt with vomit! Even Brandon spit up a bunch, and threw up quite a few times when he was sick when he was younger.

It's good Eli felt better afterwards! The exact same thing happened to my niece years ago - she was lethargic and feverish until she threw up and then was fine! - Courtney

bev said...

Poor baby! Thankfully it was short lived and he's better now.

Atlanta Hoffmans said...

Pete Striplin always said his daughter Katherine never vomitted...we can't say the same about Lindsey, though.....