Friday, March 14, 2008

The Battle of The Blanket

And Mommy is not winning...

It's been well established that Eli prefers his 'special' blanket to the Mommy blanket. The Mommy blanket that I spent over a month on, every night. The Mommy blanket that I lovingly knit for him every day and night while Eli was napping or sleeping. I chalked the preference of the special blanket up to the fact that I was too late in my offering. Grandma gave Eli the special blanket the day he was born, whereas I didn't knit him the Mommy blanket until he was about 18-months old. No brainer, right?

So when Maddux came around I thought I had it all figured out. I knit her blanket while I was pregnant and she received it the week she came home from the hospital. Of course, my mom wanted to give her a 'special' blanket too, since Eli's was so well received. Since we didn't find out her gender before her arrival, Grandma waited to order it until she met Maddie in person. Even better news for me; I had a total jump start! For the first few months, Maddux seemed to like and maybe even prefer the Mommy blanket, but in the last few weeks that has changed. About a week ago I noticed Maddux curling up with the special blanket while she slept. I thought maybe (just maybe!!!) it was a coincidence; maybe it was the closest blanket to her (both the special and Mommy blanket are in the crib). So I placed her down for a few naps at one end of the crib (where the aquarium is), and I stuck the special blanket in a far corner, almost out of sight. Then I'd drape the Mommy blanket over her back. No tricking this girl: when I'd check on her after she fell asleep, she was in that far corner, with the blanket in hand. Then, to my dismay, as I put her to sleep last night, she reached out for the special blanket and stuck her thumb in her mouth as soon as her fingers touched the corner....just like Eli does. Once again, I'm so glad I spent so much time and energy knitting those Mommy blankets!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

This makes me "awwww" and laugh all at the same time. Kids and their blankets, lol.