Monday, March 03, 2008

A Parrot

Eli's two new phrases are: "I know" and "k". And I know exactly where he learned them. About two hundred times a day, I give Eli a breakdown of our plans or instructions for the future. At the end of them, I usually say "OK?", but it comes out "k?" (By the way, I am not, in any way, asking Eli if he is ok with the direction/plan I've given. It's more of a check to see if he heard and/or understood me.) Now Eli will check in with me.
"Mommy makin' sammiches?"
"Yes, Eli. I'm making sandwiches for lunch."
"K.... Mommy makin' gw-apes?"
"Yes, we'll have grapes too."
"K."

The "I know" he gets from me, no doubt. I have a (bad) habit of saying that a lot. This is not my way of letting people know that I know everything...far from it. It's just something that comes out without me thinking about it.
"Eli, did you see the guy on our roof? He's fixing it!"
"I know! Woof guy up dere?"
"Yes, the roof guy is up there."
"I know."

No comments: