Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween or Girls Night Out?

This article brings up concerns I've had for the last few years, but particularly this year, since I've been in more of the costume stores. I was totally shocked when Lehr and I took Eli to a Halloween store only to find the KIDS' isles loaded with 'hot witch' costumes and 'sexy nurse' get-ups. We are not even talking about teen-age costumes here. The sizes marked were 7-9years and 11-13years. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with women, even older teens playing 'dress-up', especially in the spirit of feeling good about oneself. In my college days I went out on a weekly basis and 'dressed up'. I did not do that when I was 8 years old. Or even 12 years old. I had parents who, though I didn't like it at the time, put limits on me and what I wore. I can't imagine letting Maddux wear even half of the costumes I have seen at Target or Halloween stores in the last month.

I'm curious about your thoughts...especially if you're a parent of a girl. I've heard the defense that dressing this way helps boost girls' self-esteem, but I think it does the opposite. IMO, it teaches girls (right in line with so much of the television/movie/music scene) that their body is their #1 asset, and it needs to be showcased at every opportunity. As Pink said (in one of my favorite songs), "What happened to the dreams of a girl president?"

5 comments:

Mir said...

Two years ago, when Gymboree expanded their line to 12, we actually celebrated.

Unfortunately, as you'll find out only too soon with Maddux, it's not just costumes. Were you to go into a dept. store and try to find any clothes for a child 6-7 years old (or even as young as 4 in some cases), you'd be very hard pressed.

I take a lot of pride in the fact that my daughter looks like a child. It is more expensive having to seek out modest, quality clothes in her size, but it's worth every, single dime. She is a little girl, and that's the ONLY way I want her portrayed.

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree! I let my daughter dress up this year (she's 13) and to find anything decent was a joke, so, before she left the house she had on leggings AND shorts under the (so-called) dress and a jacket over the top of it....thank goodness she preferred it that way although at that point what's the sense in spending money to dress up? My 15 year old tried on a bumble bee costume and said she was more covered up naked!! I'm blessed that I do have modest girls! Thankful too! It amazes me what I see some of these girls in....

Kaci said...

Wow - I guess I haven't looked at enough costumes to realize this was a problem. I guess I'll have to learn to sew and just make Scarlett's costumes.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I went into a Halloween store and couldn't believe some of the costumes. I was looking t a cowgirl one for Alexis and said to myself there is NO WAY she is wearing this.... Luckily we found a nice Ladybug at Old Navy :) I don't understand why "we" want our little girls to look sexy??? Anyways this probably doesn't make alot of sense but I TOTALLY AGREE!

jolibe said...

I agree completely! Little girls need to look like little girls, they shouldn't even be thinking about being "sexy"! It's crazy! Even in the clothing depts, I've seen toddler sized halter tops and mini-skirts for little ones. Personally, I find it a little disgusting. I hope to raise my daughter to believe in her whole self - with more focus on her mind and soul!