Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tomato, Tomah-to

Eli and I have had a pretty stellar day so far. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself; it's only naptime and we still have the afternoon/evening to tackle.) After he woke up (still no fever...hopefully that was just his usual hot self from sleeping yesterday) and ate breakfast we went for a walk at the river. (Sidenote on breakfast: Eli is becoming quite adept at his spoon and fork skills. He still spills a bit, but his technique has come a long way.) We followed that up with a short trip to the Lakeshore Learning Store where I bought Eli a new wooden puzzle and some sidewalk chalk (I'm keeping that in my back pocket for now; it will be pulled out one afternoon when he's 'bored'.). When we arrived home I took Eli onto the back porch so we could plant the tomato seeds we got from MOPS yesterday. I painted a little pot with his name on it and he was quite excited about that. He was very interested in the whole process of pouring the dirt in the pot, opening the seed packet, placing some seeds in the dirt, and finally covering them up with dirt and 'patting'. Once we finished he carried the seed packet all around the deck, spilling leftover seeds everywhere (that will be fun for the future owners of this house). He then meandered around our small backyard for close to 20 minutes, never ONCE making a move towards the back alley. This is huge since that is a battle I've been having with him. (If the cherry tomatoes grow I'll be sure to post pictures, but Eli dumped the pot three or four times after we finished, so who knows the state of the seeds and growing environment.)

2 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

The photos and the project are so cute! (And where did you get his great shoes?)

Gina said...

What a big boy planting seeds! I look forward to warm weather. Liam and I have cabin fever so bad!

Love the sunny photos! Made me smile!