Thursday, March 08, 2007

Don't Blink

It seems like each day I look at Eli and he seems even more grown up than the last. First off, he has these full on 'conversations' with us all the time. One day this week he and I pulled into the neighborhood and he immediately pointed out the window and started saying something that resembled "mihm at loow". So as we drove towards the house I asked, "Do you see the houses? The trees? The sky? The cars? The birds?" All of these were met with him uttering his phrase again, telling me that I was not naming same object he was. So we pull into the alley and I stop while the garage door opens and turn around to ask, "What is it, Eli? Do you see the garbage cans?" His response was hilarious: he had a look of disbelief on his face and he said, "No! mihm at loow!" Seriously. His expression was priceless. It was as if he said, "Honestly, are you even listening to me?!?!?"

After his bath each night either Lehr or I slather lotion all over Eli before putting his pajamas on. Half of the time he'll hold out his hand in a request for a little lotion. When we put some on his hand he usually wipes his hands together to rub the lotion in. The other night I took a shower just before we gave him a bath and he came into the bedroom with me while I put lotion on myself. He watched me very carefully as I put it all over my arms and legs, and then he came over to 'ask' for lotion on his hand. Instead of his usual hand rub, he took his now-covered-with-lotion hand and rubbed it on my legs again and again.

After our all of our stops yesterday, Eli's nose was becoming a mess during our ride home so I handed him a wipe (something I've never done before) in hopes that he'd wipe his face like he does when you give him a napkin (something we didn't teach him - he just kinda picked it up on his own). Not only did he wipe his face, but he blew his nose into the wipe. WOW! Neither Lehr nor I have been sick at all with sinus issues in the past six or seven months, so I'm not sure who he has seen blowing their nose, but obviously he learned a lot from the demonstration!

The moral of the story is: Don't Blink. They grow up way too quick even when you think you are watching their every move.

No comments: