Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Man Overboard!

After dinner last night we took advantage of the great weather and longer daylight hours. Sope Creek is one of our favorite spots to hike and we've brought Eli along several times, usually in the backpack carrier. Lehr mentioned the last few times they have hiked he has allowed Eli out of his carrier to explore. (Remember the snake?) His favorite thing to do when he is out of the backpack is throw rocks (or wood, or whatever) in the creek/pond by the dock. When we first arrived last night Lehr let him out to throw right away, given that we were already losing daylight. I'd brought along the camera with the stipulation that I was on camera duty and Lehr was on Eli duty. Immediately Eli rushed towards the very edge of the deck as he threw his rock, scaring me to death. Lehr assured me that he knows to stop at the edge, but I still reminded him that should Eli trip or allow his momentum to carry him into the water, he would be the one swimming with Eli. So I snapped one or two before, no surprise to me, Eli toppled over the edge, head first. Lehr was right there to grab him by the pants, but not before Eli's head was submerged in the cold water. He came up crying, more from the scare factor than anything (though he did get a few small scrapes on his nose from the rocks below the surface). After I held him for 90-seconds tops, Eli was ready to resume his rock-throwing. This time we asked him to sit down and throw instead....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! How scary! Thank God Lehr was there to catch him! And Eli certainly doesn't look any worse for the wear. :-)

Also, I came across this blog not too long ago and wanted to pass it on:
http://andbabiesmakesix.blogspot.com/

Her triple the trouble kiddos are Eli/Ian's age (September babes), AND she lives in Atlanta!

Heather said...

Glad to know Lehr is a quick draw! Ryan had a scare like that over at the Smyrna pond. However he never made it to the water for being stopped by a tree. Few scrapes and a few minutes later he was ready to play with Logan again! Hope you guys are doing well!

beth said...

Oh man! I can totally see my husband having the exact same conversation just before something like this happens. I'd be sitting there wondering about momentum and so forth just as it happens. So glad he was ok, as evidenced by the second picture. The first one's a heartbreaker though...but I like that you can sort of see where his pants are pulled down a bit I assume as part of fishing him out.

Courtney said...

Yep - that would be considered a "mild heart attack" (not!!) on my end".