Saturday, September 19, 2015

Tapping My Fingers

Psalm 33:20  Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. 

When the Nurse Practitioner started talking about Ruby maybe going home, she mentioned Friday. Of course my heart did a little dance, but I knew better than to put too much stock in that. Unfortunately each day her ANC was not registering high enough. During rounds on Friday, Ruby's ANC was still 2-digit (they want it 3-digit, trending up, for at least two days). Also, her hemoglobin was down, so she received blood during naptime. The team was still preparing everything for a weekend departure, even though that seemed highly unlikely to me.

Lehr stayed with Ruby last night, and he spent the day with her today. Grandpa Jim and Eli and I visited for lunch, and Ruby ran all over the golf course and the Zone, until she crashed for a nap. Lehr said that just before we got there, Ruby was playing in the AFLAC playroom and fell and bumped her upper lip. She got a cut on her lip/gum area and it took a good 30 minutes to stop bleeding. One of Ruby's doctors was right there, so she was able to keep an eye on it. Also, Lehr said he noticed some of Ruby's hair falling out. I've been watching carefully when I've brushed and fixed her hair each day, but nothing so far; I assumed that meant it wouldn't happen until she started the next round.
As of this morning, Ruby's ANC is STILL 2-digits. At this point we are just hoping to go home on Tuesday, as originally planned. And the finger tapping continues. Even when you tell yourself not to get your hopes up, it's hard when it comes to your family. During my time at home today, I spent a significant portion in the yard, tending and planting and whatnot. Ruby loves to be out there with me and it made me sad to realize how long it's been since she's seen her yard.

No comments: