Sunday, September 20, 2015

Happy Surprise

Psalm 66:5  Come and see what God has done, how awesome His works in man's behalf!

As optimistic as Ruby's team was on Wednesday about her going home Friday, or maybe Saturday, we watched that possibility fade quickly each day as her blood was tested and came back with low numbers. As of yesterday when I left the hospital, I was feeling that Tuesday would be our best case scenario.. So imagine my surprise when I left church at 11AM to find a Facebook post from Lehr indicating Ruby's doctor gave her permission to go home this afternoon!

I immediately called just as the doctor came back into the room, so Lehr put me on speaker phone so that I could hear their discussion and ask any questions I had. Ruby's numbers are going up, but are still not even in the hundreds. However, this 'precursor' level they test for indicates that she is right on the cusp. After I hung up I quickly dropped the rest of the family at home and high-tailed it to the hospital.
When I got there, Ruby was moving around pretty good, so I ordered lunch to settle her down. With nap time approaching, i wasn't sure how everything would play out with our discharge. Lehr had packed everything up, so all we had to do was have Ruby's dressing changed, get a tutorial on how to do that ourselves and how to flush the line.

Yikes. I've watched them change her dressing three times, but thinking about doing it myself freaks me out. (Everything has to be insanely sterile!) And the line flush and/or hep lock I've seen no less than 25 times. But that is another thing that just freaks me out. We have a home care nurse coming out a few times a week to do these things, but there is always an off-chance we have to do it ourselves. My personal prayer request this week is that I never have to do that :)
The kids and grandparents were crazy excited to have Ruby back. And it was SO cool to watch her walk around and rediscover everything at home. When Lehr and I first arrived, Ruby went right down for a nap, so she didn't even notice her surroundings, but once she got up, everything was fair game.

To say my cup runneth over is an understatement right now. All five of us sleeping under the same roof...it doesn't get much better than that!

No comments: