Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Maddie, the Mad Dog

All of this extra one-on-one I have with Maddux is so great for so many reasons. First off, it is allowing me to get to know Maddie on this new level, right at the same time that her wonderful personality is blooming. She is so independent, yet she loves knowing someone is there for her. When we play outside she will run to me every few minutes with her arms outstretched (can you say 'melt'?), only to turn around and go back to what she was doing once she receives a quick hug or snuggle.

Maddux loves loves LOVES books and she is so content to sit in front of a bookshelf and go through dozens of books at a time. That does not mean she does not crave the interaction of being read to. When I get her up in the morning, she hugs me and then wiggles out of my arms as quickly as possible. Maddux makes a bee-line for the bookshelf and starts reading. I usually take that time to organize her clothes and diaper before I call her over to the changing pad. When she does come, she is carrying a book with her and she asks me with a grunt to read as she approaches. Of course I tell her 'yes', so she turns her body around and plops down in my lap, ready to listen to a few pages of the book. (That's all she has time for before she's up and looking for another book again.)

Mad Dog loves dogs. Go figure. When a large one walks past her, she still gets a little hesitant due to their size, but until they are 12-inches from her, she is waving, calling to them, and smiling like crazy. And she constantly makes the doggie noise (rah-rah-rah-rah-rah). Especially when she sees and/or hears dogs, which is a lot in our neighborhood. Pictures of dogs count too; there are several books that get flipped through very quickly in order to make it to the doggie pages.

Finally, she loves her family. Daddy, Mommy and Eli. Especially Eli. Though she is learning how to torment him a little when they play, she still craves his attention and she loves to be with him. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she is that big already!! What a doll.