Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Day For The Books

No plans today. These days are very rare. If nothing else, I usually have a walk or a trip to the park planned. But it was cool and very windy this morning and I thought that might be a bit much for the kids. So after breakfast and a quick blanket time, I loaded them into the car for a Costco trip. We were in need of a few staples and I figured it would be a good diversion for the morning stretch. The kids did pretty well while we shopped, though Maddie was not in the best spirits. We did walk by the pre-lit Christmas trees though, and both kids were all bug-eyed and gaping-mouthed. It was lunch time as soon as we got home, so I heated up some soup and we were all done by 1PM. Maddux promptly had a melt-down at that time because I wouldn't pick her up and carry her while I was trying to clean the kitchen. After about three minutes of her crying and me kneeling down to comfort her (but not picking her up), Eli ran towards us with a toy. "Dis make her feel better, Mommy?" Man, that kid is sweet!

Five minutes later, Maddie settled down and began to play with Eli. He was using a pitcher as a blender for some of his food (and animals). I'm not sure of the smoothie flavor, but he was really into it. And he let Maddux put objects into his pitcher, so she got into it also. Before I realized it, ten minutes had passed and I had the kitchen picked up and dinner half-way prepared. I stopped a few times, in awe, to watch the two kids playing so well together. Even when Maddie took something Eli was playing with (as she often does), he was pretty nice about it. Towards the end of our time downstairs, Mad Dog took an animal and ran (like she always does when she knows Eli is going to protest) and Eli chased her. It was all in fun; both kids were giggling and having a blast. At one point she came over to me in the kitchen, for safety I think, and Eli came in and said, "Come chase wiff me, Mad!!" (He now calls her 'Maddie', 'Max', 'Mad', and 'my sisser'.)

To end the morning, we all went upstairs for bathroom trips, one song on the computer (due to potty success) and stories. I left Eli in front of the computer as I put Maddux down. When I do this, I always tell him, "When this song is over, please go to your room and read a book until I come in." As any good first-born would do, this kid obeys that rule like none other. I had Maddux's door cracked and when I heard the end of "Grease Lightning", I saw him turn and march to his room. Halfway there, he stopped and picked up Maddie's doll. He came into her room, where I had just put her into her crib, and said, "Maddie needs her baby doll for nigh-night. Here-go, Max!" It's days like today that make me so aware of what a true gem he is.

1 comment:

Desiree Blake said...

Sounds like a nice day.

&

I think his costume is adorable by the way :]