Monday, October 06, 2008

Fire Guy

Eli had a great day at school today: a fireman paid the church a visit, complete with a firetruck!! Eli knew about this last week, so we had already talked about it and he was oh-so excited. When Maddux and I picked him up, Eli was wearing a plastic fire hat (similar to the one he got at a local station last winter) and a shiny fire badge sticker. He went on and on about the 'fire guy' and all things related. Did you know 'fire guys' wear fire hats and fire pants and fire shirts and fire shoes? They also wear a fire mask and their trucks go 'woooooooooo'. Eli told me that this particular truck made funny noises. I'm a bit surprised the loud sirens didn't frighten him as loud noises usually spook Eli...he assured me he was not scared today.

When we returned home, Eli showed me the color-activity book he received at school which was fire safety related. Then he told me a version of what to do if a fire is in your house (get out and stop, drop, and roll), which was quite amusing. After lunch he immediately looked for (and found) his fire hat from last time and told me he had two now. We've been working a lot recently on the concept of having more than you need and sharing with others, so I asked Eli if he really needed two hats. He said 'yes', so I tried to prompt further by reminding him that some people (in our house!) don't have any fire hats. He then nicely handed one to Maddux. She loved it. The two wore them non-stop all afternoon.

No comments: