Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sweetie Pie

It might come off that I only view Maddux as a child who makes more noise than necessary, so I'll try to keep you updated on her many other attributes in the future. For starters, Maddie is such a sweetheart. She really is! After we dropped Eli off at school this morning, she and I went to the YMCA. She hadn't been in over a week, and she was VERY excited to enter her side of the childcare classroom. When I picked her up, the caregiver told me how happy and sweet Maddie had been. There were three non-mobile babies in there with her and she took care of them the whole time. Talking and laughing with (at??) them and whatnot. At one point, Maddux went over to the bin of toys, pulled out a rattle, and brought it to a baby sitting in a swing. What a gal!

Lehr ran out after baths tonight, so I had both kids immediately before bed. We watched a quick podcast (They Might Be Giants) after they had their PJ's on, and both kids were standing on step stools, looking over the edge of the computer desk to watch the screen. Maddie would rock her head back and forth in time to the music (only hitting her head and crying once, but returning to the same motion immediately afterward). At one point during the podcast Maddux got off of her stool, moved it closer to Eli, and stood back on top. Once she got her balance, she stretched out her hand and patted his back repeatedly. Then she laughed and smiled when he looked at her. Can you taste the sugary sweetness yet? She also rubs his back and hair sometimes in the bath, trying to 'wash' him. I love their relationship right now!

Maddux is also sweet with other people too. If you ask her for a kiss, she'll lean in, say 'ahh' and give you an open mouth kiss. (A bit forward, but it's her thing.) She is also very adamant about waving 'bye' whenever you leave her, or when she is leaving you. She does it now when I put her in her crib for naps and bedtime. And when we're all playing in the big room, she will start to walk away, stop, and turn around, saying "Eh!!" and waving until you reciprocate.

Last but not least, my favorite aspect of her sweetness is her cuddles. She especially loves to come lay on people when they lie down. If I'm playing with the kids, I usually end up on the ground, on my stomach, at some point. She takes that opportunity to come over, lie on my back and rest her head sideways as she throws her arms by her sides and sighs. She did this to D a few times at the beach also. She is a love-muffin!!

1 comment:

Stephan & Mary said...

So sweet! I see so many similarities in Rebekah - the waving, the back-patting, the cuddles. She loves her big brother and laughs at him, but he's at such a different stage. He loves her but he simply pesters and abuses her. I don't know how to teach gentleness and kindness to him.