Monday, September 22, 2008

Out Of The Mouth Of Eli

- "Mommy, I so proud of ooh!"
Eli says 'ooh' for 'you' a lot still. Sometimes he gets it right, but many times he'll leave the 'y' sound off. Today he told me he had to pee, so I let him go to the bathroom by himself. I came in at the end to help him with the soap because he couldn't reach it to wash his hands. Since I was there, I took care of business for myself too. When I was done, Eli said, "Mommy, I so proud of ooh!!!"

- "He no say "Maybe I da one."
Eli loves music. Duh. The kid also has a mind-blowing memory. He'll hear a song once and recognize it within the first few notes the next time he hears it. Two months later. His latest 'thing' is asking me who the artist is for any song that remotely peaks his interest. Most of the time I know, given I'm a music fan myself with what I thought was a good memory about songs/artists. (I thought that before I met Eli.) A few days before we left for the beach (roughly two weeks ago) "Psycho" came on the radio. Halfway through, Eli asked, "Who sing this, Mommy?" I told him it was Puddle of Mudd. "Oh. I like dem. This is my favorite song." He says this a lot these days, so this song didn't seem any more significant than any other. A few times while we were on vacation he would ask for Puddle of Mudd, but since this is not 1986, we didn't have a boombox with us while we were hanging out at the beach, so his requests were not granted. Fast forward to this afternoon. I told Eli he could pick one song to listen to on the computer while I put Maddux down for her nap. He requested Puddle of Mudd. I had forgotten about the "Psycho" incident, so I chose another one of their songs ("Blurry"). When I came out of Maddie's room, Eli told me, "Dis not Puddle of Mudd. He no say, 'Maybe I da one.' Not da right song." (Side note: If you're not familiar with the song, it starts with a few guitar notes and then the lead singer says, "Maybe I'm the one. Maybe I'm the one. Who is.") It took me a few minutes to understand what he meant. Once it hit me, I was once again reminded that nothing gets past this kid. Time to really start paying attention to those lyrics!

No comments: