Monday, June 09, 2008

Out Of The Mouth Of Eli

"I be patient for Daddy."
After Lehr arrived home tonight, the kids and I waited outside while he went in to change into 'play clothes'. Eli was mowing (as usual) and informed me that his mower was full. I asked him if he needed to dump it in the trash. He said, 'yes', and I started to walk over to the gate where we keep the grass clippings. He stopped me and told me, "I waiting. I be patient for Daddy."

"I eat that at Grandpa Jim's house."
Truer words were rarely uttered. As we shopped our way through Harry's one day Eli pointed out items and named them in a sing-songy voice. "Pee-ches!" "Hearts, Mommy!" "Chi-cken Saw-sedge!" With each one, I'd tell him either "yes, we need that" or "not today". The last one had me laughing:
"Cooooo-kies!!"
"Not today."
"I eat that at Grandpa Jim's house." He sooo has his grandparents' number!

"Wind not blow my hair now." The temperatures have been brutal in Atlanta the last few weeks. One day it actually hit 96 (in early June, no-less). I was outside with the kids and Eli was mowing the grass. Again. (Is there ANY chance he'll still love to do that when he's 10?) We got a brief moment of movement in our otherwise stagnant afternoon. Eli ran to me and asked for his Cubbies hat. I gave it to him and he continued to mow. About five minutes later we received another welcomed gust of wind. Eli looked at me and said, "Cubbies hat works. Wind not blow my hair now."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute! Love the bit about the cookies! I remember eating cookies from Harry's when I was a kid. Those were the best!

bev said...

Awww lol. He totally told on Grandpa lol.