Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tiny Bubbles

When Eli completed his swim lessons last week, the instructors rewarded him with a certificate and a choice of prizes. In the grab bag were four or five different colored bubble containers. My all-boy, sports-obsessed son made a beeline right for the pink starfish. He wasn't ashamed, nor did he see anything 'wrong' with choosing pink over yellow, blue, or green. Gotta love it!

As it goes in our house, the bubbles were in a temporary time out due to Eli's insistence on using the phrase "RIGHT NOW!" when he receives a 'no' to one of his many requests during the day. The phase passed (for a day) and then I waited for a good outside day to allow Eli access to the bubbles. In the past, he's shown me in the past that he prefers to dump the soapy concoction or, better yet, attempt to drink it. I figured if we were outside, no harm - no foul. It turns out I didn't need the safety net; Eli did really well with the bubbles, even blowing a few on his own for the first time! Maddux loved when Eli blew them at her. I kept a bottle of bubbles for myself, so I could 'fill in the gaps' when Eli had a dry streak of unsuccessful blows, but he did pretty well. When I ran back to the garage to get said back-up bubbles, I came back to find Maddux (in her red car) laughing hysterically at Eli who was blowing bubbles for her. I know I keep harping on it, but these days I am overwhelmed with the love they have for each other. Life is good.

2 comments:

bev said...

You can see the look of anticipation on her face as she's waiting for him to blow more bubbles. Too cute!

jolibe said...

Hey - isn't "pink the new black" anyway?!
So sweet that they get along so well. It gives me hope that my two (of similar ages) will return to that once the "newness" of my 10-month-ols's crawling has worn off. Lately my 2 1/2 year old son is insistent to keep his sister as far away from him and his toys as possible!