Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Beginning of The End

So I nursed Eli for a year...actually a year and a week or so. I plan to cut Maddux off a few weeks before her 1st birthday, mainly because of a trip we have planned at the end of June. That process started last night. I nursed her before her bath instead of immediately before I put her in her crib, like I usually do. The plan there is to back that last feeding up until it coincides with dinner and I can just give her a sippy of milk at dinner. Even though I am looking forward to having my body be mine and only mine for the first time in almost four years (pregnancy and nursing have claimed me since November 2004), I will miss the bonding I get from those special times with Maddux. Especially because those are some of the few moments she and I get to spend one-on-one. With Eli, it wasn't as big of a deal because after I nursed him in the morning, we still had the rest of the day to be with just each other. Not so with Maddux, of course.

Anyway, one of the good side effects of this weaning process comes at bedtime. Now I don't have to put Maddux down each night; Lehr can do it and I can put Eli down. Or even better, we can read books all together. Last night Eli came in to say good-night to Max as I was reading her a story (which happens to be one of his favorites too). He said, "I dant read 'back and forth' too!", and he stood by my chair for a few pages while I read to both kids. Life is good.

4 comments:

Momma M said...

Nicole
Good for you for keeping at it. Regardless, you're still a fantastic mom!!

The Mommy Salami said...

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing. Once I read your post I decided we should start pushing the last bottle of the day up a bit. Right now Morgan is either so used to her routine or so hungry for her bottle that she tends to rush the bath so she can get out and get her bottle...then she is full of energy and not quite ready for bed just yet. I think I am going to try the bottle before bath tomorrow night and see how it works. I like the idea of moving it up to a sippy of milk at dinner!

Thanks!

Ashleigh said...

Bitter sweet. My body has not been my own since February 2004 and looks like I won't get it back until August 2009! I wonder if I will even recognize my non-hormonal personality when the day comes??

Also.. what site to you use to print your blog? I hear you are the expert.

Gina said...

You are such a wonderful mother! I am so impressed with all you do for your little ones. They are so blessed to be so doted upon and loved beyond measure.