Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ruby

Eli says that to me before naps and bedtime now: "Ruby, pwease!?" What he's referring to is a song that I used to sing to him every day, four or five times a day while I nursed him (and now a song I sing to Maddux on occasion). He's referring to a song that I recently pulled back into the repertoire. He's referring to a song that is not very appropriate to sing to a child, let alone a toddler. He's referring to a song that, although not done originally by him, was a huge hit for Kenny Rogers (who is a big fave of mine). Finally, he's referring to a song that has recently been redone quite well by Cake and also, though not as well, by The Killers.

I've known for some time that Eli has quite a memory. He showed that off again the other day when I put him to bed. I'd only returned to singing "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" for two days (maybe singing it three times total) when he started repeating the lines to me. (Since the lyrics aren't PC, that is probably not a good thing.) So the last line of the song is "For God's sake, turn around", sung in a whisper. I tuck Eli into his bed, tell him I love him 'all the way up to the moon and all the way down to the swimming pool drain', and I sign "I love you" as I turn to walk out the door. Then I hear Eli whisper something. I go back to his crib and ask him, 'what?', only to find him grinning. He repeats himself but I still can't understand him. On the third go-round I make out, "Foh gossake, tern round." Well done, Mommy.

4 comments:

bev said...

LOL!

Ann said...

Gotta Love Kenny!!

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry for laughing. Whoops!

Mir said...

Too funny!! We knew we had to start monitoring what Austen listened to when at three she busted out from the back seat with AC/DC's "Big Balls."

Oh, and if that worries you, don't EVER look up "Peaches." It is metaphorical. :-)