Friday, May 23, 2008

Quite A Mouthful

More gems from the last few days:

Big vs. Little
Eli told me today how some of his friends are big and some are little. He got them all right! Initially, I was just trying to see if he knew gender difference, as he's been a little confused in the past. I asked him, "Is Cooper a bird?" He told me "No, he a big boy." So then we went through all his friends. Any child of his age or older are'big' and any babies (Max, Finley, Owen) are 'little'. (And he got the gender right each time.)

"Das so nice!"
I often tell Eli, "That's so nice of you to ....." when he shares, or shows sympathy, or does something kind. Today we were at the park and Maddux was playing with one of the baseballs we'd brought with us. Eli asked where it was and I told him Maddux was holding it. He says, "Oh, Das so nice!!"

"Here ya go."
Last night in their bath, Eli was playing with the Motrin syringe, which he loves. All of the sudden he told us that he was going to give Maddux medicine. He carefully filled it up and used a VERY soothing voice to say to her, "Come 'eer. S'ok. Here ya go." Then he squeezed it in her mouth. He was very gentle, and I reminded him that we were only pretending to give medicine. What a little care-taker!

Signs
Eli is begging me to teach him more signs each day. Most recently he's become a fan of "Good night", "I love you", "Grandma/Grandpa", and "E.L.I" He remembers the new ones from day to day and he always asks me for 'diffent' ones. Looks like I need to brush up on my signs so I can continue to challenge him!

"Dohn know how dat happent!"
On the way to the park this morning, I had to stop because I had a rock in my shoe. Eli asked me about it, and when I confirmed that yes, there was a pebble in there, Eli said, "Dohn know how dat happent!"

"Moster!"
After breakfast I took the kids to the nearby park where I've been doing "boot camp" for the last month. I thought it might be difficult to get an extra boot camp workout in today, but I figured it was worth a try. Plus there are 7 or 8 baseball fields there, so Eli and I could play catch and Maddux could crawl around in the grass. It turned out that Eli loved boot camp and we both got in a great workout. He sprinted with me, shuffled back, did lunges (though his looked quite different from mine) and (his favorite part) ran up and down 'the monster' hill. I ran up and down that thing WAY more than I usually do during boot camp because it was Eli's favorite and he kept insisting on 'the moh-ster'. He took a big tumble the first time down (it is pretty steep), but he brushed himself off and kept going. Maddux enjoyed watching us and picking weeds for the groundskeepers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you like your children watching a lot of t.v., but we have some of the signing time videos and Carter just loves them. He has learned so many signs through it and we just keep doing them throughout the day so he doesn't forget them. It is amazing what they can pick up in just a day. He signs all the time now. I think the website is www.signingtime.com. I don't let Carter watch too much t.v., but these are nice and at least he is learning something by watching them.

Amy