Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thanks For The Memories

It's days like today that make me very thankful for this blog. I'm glad I have written proof of the good days with Eli because days like today make me think it's all bad all the time.

I know anyone with a toddler probably feels the same. The ups are cool, but the downs are WAY down. Eli had several time outs this morning, including one in his crib which is a big last resort for us (this happens only when he is totally out of control, physically and emotionally), and then he proceeded to have another few tantrums while a carpet guy was here giving me a quote. Let me tell you there is nothing better than trying to have a productive conversation, including remembering questions you need to ask, while you're holding a screaming, kicking, biting toddler. YIKES! Can someone please tell me where the fat aggression comes from in a two-year old!?!? And when (and where) did he learn to bite? Seriously if I let him go, Eli would run around the house during his rage and knock down every chair, table, whatever that got in his way. Oh, and he'd also hit every wall, window, or slam every cabinet door. This is usually over me saying 'no' to something serious-as-a-heart-attack like mommy picking him up while she's doing the dishes or going out to the back porch to play when we just came inside (on Eli's request). So I guess I should really see his side of it, right? (Yes, I'm attempting to be sarcastic.)

The good parts of today included hitting the soccer ball outside with Eli's little baseball bat...he had a blast doing that for about ten minutes (why do the tantrums/bad moods last 30+ minutes, but the good times only last ten?). Then we had a blanket time break-through - ten full minutes without one cry. HIP HIP HOORAY! We used to have such success with blanket time and/or couch time, but since we've moved, Eli seems to have lost all concept of his part of the bargain during those times. Last night Lehr and I tried a 'new' way with couch time (Eli had 'room-time' instead of blanket time while we talked) and we got ten successful minutes. Then this morning I did blanket time with Eli and got ten successful minutes again. Could we maybe be back on our way to compliance where that is concerned?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Part of it could come from his sensing that change is right around the corner for him. Just know that it doesn't last forever and I have no clue where the agression comes from ... Left field 99% of the time! :) Just stay consistent and try to not let him be the center of the moment when he has them. Try as best as you can to ignore him ... and PRAY! That's what got me through them and now he doesn't have them anymore. ignoring him during those times was the best thing I ever did ... as much as you can without your house being in 100 pieces when he's done!

jolibe said...

I feel your pain! My almost-2 yr old has been getting much more aggressive than usual. I think Heather may be right about them being able to sense the big change coming their way soon. We have 2 big changes happening VERY close together - moving on July 7 and I'm due on July 13! You will get through this stage and it will be something you look back and laugh about - just like all the other "bad" stages! :)