Tuesday, July 04, 2006

God Bless America

We started our Fourth of July the way we usually do: waking up early and going downtown to run the Peachtree Road Race. This year Lehr decided report for Eli duty instead of running, so I ran with David (the Godfathah). Carolyn (the Fairy Godmother) drove us down to the race start and then went back to pick up Eli and Lehr. The three of them camped out to watch the race while David and I braved the heat and humidity that is always present on race day. What a weird bird my son is though: I saw them on the sidelines towards the end of the race, so I stopped to say 'hi'. Eli acted as though he couldn't care less, and I continued on my way after about a minute. I am told he burst into tears as I ran away. WEIRDO!!

It was a great race and Eli loved being a spectator. It's hard not to, with all of the crazy costumes and get-ups you see. This year's highlights: superheros (the Hulk, Batman, Spiderman, etc.), "Men in Black", male hula dancers, and Elvis. (Pictures here) After the race we came back home for breakfast, at which time Eli entertained everyone by dancing. He's becoming quite the rocker, swaying back and forth whenever he hears music. Also, he is doing his army crawl all over the downstairs, as I type.

We were hoping to view some fireworks downtown, but unfortunately we got rained out. Of course that didn't happen until we were already down there, at Centennial Park. Luckily as soon as the raindrops started falling we were able to take cover under an awning. It is a good thing too because it came down in buckets for at least 20 minutes!
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!

5 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I hope he cooperates for the fireworks! Happy 4th of July!!

Gina said...

What a go-getter you are! That is a great tradition!

Glass Half Full said...

Ok -- first of all, good for you. Second, I feel like a slug!! HA! :) Glad to hear all went well.

Bri said...

This makes me almost want to venture out for a run - I haven't run since pre-preggo - any advice?

Damselfly said...

Wow! You look so fit!