Tuesday, July 25, 2006

And Meanest Mother of the Year Award Goes to.....

Yup. Me again. The last time I was mean, it wasn't so bad. In fact, none of the times so far have been because they involve me molding Eli's behavior, or challenging him, or something else he'll 'thank me for later'. (Or so I tell him.)

This time I was a bad mom and there is nothing redeeming about it. First: it was not on purpose - I promise! B: Eli didn't cry for more than 30 seconds. And lastly: I feel really bad about it.

I made Eli's breakfast before I went up to nurse him this morning. We were going to be rushing to make a yoga class (by 'we' I mean 'me', of course), and I knew we'd be short on breakfast time. I warmed a bowl of hot water to put his breakfast bowl in, as I do every other morning. However, I normally let the beans or veggies or whatever warm up for only a few minutes. This time they were warming for over 15, but I just assumed the water would cool quickly and it would all even out in the end. Wrong-o! Eli and I came downstairs, I hurried him into his chair while I grabbed the food and quickly tested it (felt fine to me). I gave him the first bite and he grabbed at his mouth quickly and tried to get his fingers inside, all the while starting to cry. I immediately knew what the problem was so I tried the broccoli myself and sure enough, it was a little warm for his sensitive mouth. Poor guy! I pulled him out of his seat and comforted him, but he was done fussing before I even unbuckled the last strap.

I thought about it during yoga, but let myself off the hook a little because he'd recovered so quickly. Fast forward to lunchtime a few hours later. When Eli opened his mouth wide for his first bite of (non-so-hot) sweet potatoes I could see the side of his tongue and it was red. Yup. I burned my kid's mouth. Way to be....can't even go a full year without harming him in some physically obvious way.

Now that you are all picking up the phone to call Family Protective Services on me, while simultaneously text messaging your spouse to remind them to never let me baby-sit, I'll leave you with this happy picture, if nothing else, as proof that I didn't scar him permanently.

3 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Aw- a lot of us will probably just say "welcome to motherhood!" Hope you'll forgive yourself!

Mall Worker said...

Its okay! I for certian wouldn't call Family Protective services! These things happen from time to time, the important thing is that it was an accident and you didn't mean it!

Courtney said...

Having three kids, I've done worse. Trust me. He won't even remember and his trust and faith in your will forever be strong.