Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ain't Nuthin' Gonna Break My Stride...

They weren't kidding when they said things would change quickly once Eli started to move. He is still primarily an army-crawler, but he does take a few 'steps' using a traditional crawl each day. He is up on his knees rocking back and forth all the time, but until Tuesday, no movement forward. I often find him in his crib after a nap up on all fours, rocking. The exception would be this morning. I went in there because he was fussing (out of the ordinary for Eli), and I found him pulled up on the crib rail. He's done this before, but only when we placed him there, since he's not shown any major desire to pull up yet. Yet there he was today, up all by himself. He wasn't standing; he was on his knees. I think he was fussing because he got 'stuck' and didn't know how to get himself down.

On another note, we've started our attempts to mold Eli's behavior (read: discipline) more now that he's mobile and more likely to get into trouble. So far, "no" without any physical intervention doesn't seem to work. Eli has tantrums, but (hopefully due to my lack of response) so far they only consist of 5-15 seconds of a scream, balled up fists, and an angry face. He then returns to his normal self and continues on as if nothing happened. Even though he is developing a what-I-want-when-I-want-it attitude, he's still trying to offer his food and drink to Lehr and I, so if nothing else, he's generous!

3 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Isn't it fun to watch them grow and change like that? I think its a blast, even with all the new things like molding and such!

Bri said...

If you figure out how to stop the tantrums - pass that info along. We've tried distraction "no", and a mingling of the two without avail.

Isn't it cool when they get upright? They're like little people now!

beth said...

Those days leading up to the time he can figure out how to sit back down on his own are hard; he'll get it though. We've been trying to ignore Sam's tantrums as well. I think, at least for a while, it is probably the way to go. That's how we got him out of his spitting phase.

Unrelated - did you delete a comment you'd left on my blog recently? Don't worry about it if you did. I only ask because if it was some weird thing that Blogger did (I've been having trouble with Blogger lately, particularly with commenting), I didn't want you to see your comment had been deleted and think I did it.