Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Few (More) of My Favorite Things

Where to begin. Eli is still struggling with the new balance of the house since Maddux's arrival, but he really is doing much better than I ever expected. And even though he has at least one time out each day, and even though he tests my will and patience, I do love the age he is at right now. Every day he has several new words that he just picks up from hearing someone talk! So here is the list today:

- Since Eli decided he wanted to jump in the pool, he loves to squat and pretend to jump at home (as he tells you, "iJump!"). So I decided to capitalize on this and try to get a hug out of the deal (since Eli doesn't really hug normally). When he jumps into the pool he has to say, "Mommy/Daddy. Please. Jump" and then Lehr or I say, "Go!" When we're at home now I tell Eli it's time to 'practice' jumping and he says the appropriate words. Then when I say, "Go!", he runs towards me and hugs me. LOVE IT!

- Eli has a new word for 'yes': "Ah!" I am going to try and capture it on video because (to me) it is the funniest thing. Since he has so many new words each day, it is hard to keep up, especially since not all of them resemble their origin. If Eli is trying to tell you something and you guess and guess, he keeps repeating the word. When you finally get it right, he cries, "Ah!!" Example: yesterday we went to Cooper's house and the boys played in the inflatable pool. Eli splashed the heck out of everyone and everything in sight. On the way home he kept saying 'pash' and I didn't understand until he made the motion with his hands. When I guessed correctly: "AHH!"

- Eli's favorite new thing to do these days is drink ice water (eye-shh dah-der). He'll ask for it when he wakes up in the morning, when we go outside, when we have lunch..all the time. Our rule in the house is that he has to sit down to have water, so half of the time he says, "eye-shh dah-der" and then sits on the rug in the kitchen while he waits for someone to fetch him a cup. As of late, after I give Eli his cup of eye-shh dah-der, he pats the floor next to him, nods and says "Mommy?" It's his sweet way of asking me to pull up the floor and have a drink with him. These moments are great because Eli and I do not have nearly as much one-on-one these days, so I comply almost every time.

- Maddux gets the hiccups almost every time she eats. It doesn't matter how much I burp her; about 30 minutes later she will get body-shaking hiccups. Eli recognizes this now and tells us, "baby. hic. cups.", as if it's three separate words.

- This is probably my most favorite thing this week. Eli has signed "thank you" unsolicited at least half a dozen times recently. This is one phrase we are still struggling to get him to say, but since it's the only thing that he still signs without a verbal, we're not too worried. I prompt him to say "thank you, Mommy" or "thank you, Daddy" a whole bunch throughout our day, so he is used to going through the motions. Last week he shocked me by signing it as I handed him a cup of water...totally before I had a chance to remind him. Melt. Melt.

- In the last few weeks Lehr and I have gotten back on track with our couch times. Eli has done really well with them too, playing independently and only coming over to try and 'entice' us a few times. I've been setting a timer for these times (and blanket time) for over a month now so Eli gets used to a timer dictating his time, rather than a seemingly arbitrary cutoff decided by Mom and Dad. Watching him jump up with wide-eyes when that timer goes off is hilarious - he totally knows what it means and he gets a HUGE smile on his face as he runs to us to give us high-fives and kisses (our 'reward' to him for playing during couch time).

- Last but not least, Eli is indeed a ladies man. Last night at our parenting class, another mom came over to me and informed me that her daughter (younger than Eli, by the way) is a bit obsessed with 'talking' about Eli. She says 'Eli, Eli church' at home all the time, apparently. Then as we were leaving, another little girl about his age walked by with her dad as I was standing with Eli and Maddux. The little girl pointed and started chanting, "Eli! There Eli" over and over. Not sure what he is doing to attract all this female attention, but obviously he's making quite an impression.

No comments: