Thursday, August 09, 2007

Good As Gold

So I don't have much online time these days, which means I'm behind in news and current events most of the time. However today was one day where I had a few minutes to 'surf' and I actually got to read some articles on CNN.com. This one caught my eye for obvious reasons. When Eli was still nursing I blogged about this topic also. In preparation for posting this time, I re-read my previous blog and I still stand by every word I wrote. It is my opinion that breastfeeding is best, but that does not mean I think those who don't are bad mothers. How and what a mother feeds her infant is her choice entirely; I just hope all mothers thoroughly explore all options.

That being said, nursing Maddux has been more difficult than it was with Eli. The first month with him was no walk in the park, but I had time and energy to devote to getting it right. This time around time is short as is my patience. Unfortunately for me, Maddux latches, but is easily distracted like her brother was, and I've got to participate 100% in keeping her involved in the feeding. Add to that the extra pain I experienced all the time until about two weeks ago, and the mini-bout of mastitis I went through around week three, and I will be the first to admit that there were more than a few times that I wanted to throw in the towel this time. The article on CNN hit a lot of great points for me. I think the advice about getting a support group is right-on. I am usually very NOT into that type of thing either, but after I had Eli I found a Mom & Me meeting for nursing moms and it helped SO much because at the very least, I realized everyone else had the same struggles as me. That in itself helped me to push through the discomfort and doubt. Once again I urge anyone who is on the fence about breastfeeding to at least give it a month before you call it quits.

No comments: