Saturday, August 18, 2007

Night-Owl

We follow Babywise. Go ahead and roll your eyes and judge us now. I know many people don't think it is a good idea to 'schedule' a baby, but it worked great for us the first time around, and we've continued the series and are now taking parenting classes for Eli's toddler-stage. Also, in my opinion, it's not so much scheduling as setting your day to a routine, but (as usual) I digress....

Oh wait. My point in mentioning that was if anyone out there also prescribing to the Babywise format with an idea as to what we might be doing wrong, PLEASE send along suggestions you might have.

Eli slept through the night fairly early. We had a few regressions due to his shoes and bar, but for the most part, I got at least 5-6 hours out of him from 5 weeks on. Not so much with Maddux. She has given me 4, 5, 6 and even 7 1/2 hour stretches so far, but for some reason about a week ago she has reverted to only 3 1/2 hours in between feedings at night. I've gone back through all my books, I've reviewed what I'm doing with her regarding feeding/eating during the day and nothing is standing out to me. Last night was especially bad for Lehr. I asked him to get up with her if (when) she woke up around 2 or 3 and give her a bottle. We let her cry a bit first, but it soon became obvious she was hungry and would not be ignored. So he gave her a bottle and then re-swaddled her and tried to soothe her to a sleepy state. I stayed in our bedroom for a full hour listening to her scream at him before I came in to help. Of course I picked her up and she settled right down. I rocked her for maybe three minutes before placing her in her crib, at which time she drifted right off. This frustrates Lehr, of course, but it REALLY frustrates me that she won't allow him to be a calming source. This means it is all on me for a while. I think Eli was this way in the very beginning too, but it's been so long that I've forgotten. So for now, I'll be burning the midnight oil...

3 comments:

Mir said...

We don't use Babywise. Do you think she's going through a growth spurt?

One suggestion our peed had was to stick a shirt you've been wearing in the dryer, and allow it to warm a bit. Then stick that on her bed, and see if she'll be "fooled."

Ian went through a phase like this too - several in fact. Fortunately, this too shall pass.

Brandi said...

I just started using Babywise about 2 weeks ago when I couldn't get Addison (who at the time was 5 and 1/2 months old) to give up the one night time feeding. She is now sleeping 10-12 hours every night. What helped me was adding an extra feeding by shortening the intervals between. You might also try having Lehr give her a bottle at bed time and being the one to put her down earlier so that she starts associating him with sleep time as well as Mom. Addison sees her Daddy as play-time Dad and resisted him lulling her to sleep as well.

Heather said...

We had no issues with Ryan and lots of issues with Pace. Mainly because Pace used a paci and Ryan used his thumb. Pace could not soothe himself. He is also a mammas boy and so he wanted me. So we gave Jer more time during the day with him and then Jer would get up in the night to re-apply the paci. This is when we knew he could go all night and was not hungry. She could just be going through a growth spurt since she is waking up or she may just not know how to self soothe herself.

Sorry I'm not much help. What does Shari say? I'll pray for you b/c I KNOW it is frustrating. Pace is still clingy.